Sunday, September 2, 2012

Week 64 Kona Grill

Hi Friends! As you can see our blog has a totally new look! We were lucky enough to be approached by and provided with a photo shoot to redo the look of our blog by Lisa of Love the Lens Photography. We just feel so lucky with this blog because not only are we getting amazing opportunities, but we just totally enjoy it!!   Anyone who knows Brett and I know that we don' t take ourselves seriously at all. We weren't about let's do a photo shoot to get discovered or be famous or any other nonsense, hahaha. Brett will tell you the same thing, that's just not us...we talked about this before we did the shoot too and went back and forth on the idea for a little bit. We are just regular people and like it being that way, just low key. So when Lisa approached us to do this we contemplated how to make it as much fun and carefree as possible,  mainly about enjoying the experience together.  I have to admit, I was kind of shy in Town Square while it was going on, because you know here in Vegas, everyone thinks they are a model, when really their agent is Facebook or Instagram (hahahaha...well, it's true!)  We really just wanted to personalized our blog and have fun photos together of us doing our favorite thing, being with each other. All of the looks in the pictures are from Patty's Closet, the Rainbow location. Also, what we love about Lisa is that the pictures look just like us. Not some version of us that if you saw the two of us blogging in a restaurant, you would have to look twice because the picture is not real life. So we apprecite that also. :)  If you could take a minute and like Lisa's Facebook photography page, that would be awesome: http://www.facebook.com/lovethylens

Speaking of Facebook, thanks for the new likes this week! While you are at it and if you haven't already, please like our Facebook page. We update it frequently and love to hear from you! http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants Also, you know you can always find our blog under the Local Interest section of the Las Vegas Informer, http://lasvegas.informermg.com/ .

What Teray Says...

This week-end on the blog, Brett's dad was in town so he joined us. His favorite place to go in Vegas is Kona Grill. Brett says that is because it is one of the places that he has brought him the most. I was excited, because I love Kona and we have never blogged about it, so it was a perfect match.

The weather was fabulous so we decided to sit on the patio. The temperature was perfect, the misters were going, the music was blasting, and people were just genuinely having fun, toasting to the fact that it was Friday. Our waitress greeted us right away and for happy hour we ordered some drinks and appetizers first. Brett and his dad had a Bud Light, I had a margaritta on the rocks. The appetizers we ordered were Kona calamari and avacado egg rolls. The egg rolls were a really good size for an appetizer, the portion was four of them. They also were fabulous because like most egg rolls I have had they weren't soggy and didn't taste too fried. (If you have read our previous blogs, you are familiar with the fact that I do not like when food tastes like it is super fried).  The calamari also was a good size portion with enough for three people to share. That also was delicious, because again it didn't taste fried to me although that's how it was cooked. 




For our meals, I ordered the pad thai noodles; Brett ordered the basil pesto linguine, and Brett's dad ordered the meatloaf. First, I will speak to what I ordered. I don't know why I picked a thai order at a place that doesn't specialize in thai food, but it was beyond delicious. It has to rank up there with some of the best pad thai that I have had here in Vegas. Also, the portion size is huge. I ate about half of it and still had so much to bring home for another meal the next day. I tasted Brett's pesto linguine and will probably order that next time if I don't order sushi (their sushi is great by the way) and Brett's dad's meatloaf was also pretty good in the taste that I've had (not as good as my mom's though). 






While eating our food I ordered another drink off of the skinny menu. The drink was only 34 calories and called the citrus flip. It consisted of sky vodka, monin sugar free triple sec and seaglass sauvignon blanc with fresh lemons and limes. For only being 34 calories, it was awesome!!! We had to order dessert as well so we went with the pineapple upside down cake. I love any dessert with pineapple, so this was top notch. 




Overall, the service, fun atmosphere, great vibe, outdoor seating, and of course the food and drinks definitely give Kona Grill a 5 out of 5 in my rating book!


This week our decision of where to go was made for us.  My Dad came out to Vegas for a little R&R, we let him pick the place, he chose "Kona Grill" in Boca Park.  An interesting decision since he isn't a sushi person, more of a meat and potatoes kind of guy.
In my opinion the way Kona is set up is how more places should be.  They have an indoor dining room, indoor bar, and a huge outdoor patio/bar.  The patio is on the parking lot side, which can be cool since there were quite a few $100k cars to look at.  They also have misters keeping things cool.  When we went it was happy hour, they have multiple, so our drinks and appetizers were pretty cheap.  Everything is comfortable, the crowd was friendly and it had a legit happy hour feel.  Even if you came here in a bad mood you would end up cheering up.  I think it is safe to assume this would also be a pretty good place to go if you are single and attempting to mingle.  It would equally be good for couples and parents, I would be more likely to sit in the dining room with children.  Both to avoid pissing off the fun crowd but also to refrain from getting upset at others for exposing a child to adult language...even though it is an adult environment.  It might even be 21+ for the patio.
Like I said it was happy hour so we got a couple appetizers; the calamari and the avocado spring rolls.  The calamari was a pretty good, could have been fried a little longer but it wasn't a big deal.  You actually get a fair amount.  As for the avocado spring rolls, kinda wish I had these in my freezer for at home use.  They were pretty amazing, nothing super creative...avocado inside a fried roll, nonetheless amazing.  For dinner I decided to get the pesto linguine, I haven't eaten pasta in a couple months so I was looking forward to it.  I was a little disappointed by the size, for the price of noodles they could have used more and filled the bowl.  It was a little spicy in a good surprising way.  The flavors all worked well together.  There was enough chicken to go with the amount of pasta, I would happily order this again but would need an appetizer as well.  My Dad ordered the meatloaf (I said he was a meat and potatoes guy) and he said it was good.  I tried a bite and concur.
The service was good, especially considering we were on a crowded patio during happy hour.  This is a place that staffs appropriately and realizes your customer service sucks when you are unrealistic with your servers.  He was on top of things; always made sure we had water, always getting refills on our other drinks and he kept us updated on our food.  He wasn't overbearing, simply put he did his job and he did it well.
I would plan on returning to Kona and plan to.  I think I could have a really good time with the right group of people.  Sitting on the patio was the way to go.  Food was pleasing and they hit all the right points on service.  This only thing to complain about was the serving size of my pasta, for that they lose 0.25pts.
Rating 4.75 out of 5



Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. This skirt has now become one of my favorite pieces that I own. Not only are the colors so rich for fall, but the feathered pattern is so unique. I wore this skirt to work with a button down shirt, and then paired it with a simple tank for dinner. The skinny woven belt is included. This look can be dressed up or down so ladies, you will definitely get your money's worth on it. You can find this look at the Rainbow location.



If you haven't already, check out Patty's Closet Facebook page, because they post all the new store opens and shipment items! http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV There are many Patty's here in Vegas, but if you aren't lucky enough to have one near you, you can shop online at shop.ilovepattyscloset.com . 

Until next time, cheers to living the good life <3 

1 comment:

  1. Kona Grill is a place that I have been and enjoyed totally. I had the sushi, but it appears from your review, anything on the menu would be a hit. Outdoor dining adds to the experience. Good food, good company, good service and for a woman a smashing, stylish outfit makes for a fun-filled night! Love the fall colors and a true staple piece. Happy Blogging ..until next week...a true follower !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete