Sunday, September 9, 2012

Week 65 Aces Bar

Welcome back! As you can see our blog got a make-over; so exciting right? Special thanks to Lisa of Love Thy Lens Photography for providing us with this photoshoot to redo the blog. We have gotten so much positive feedback from it, which is pretty awesome! http://www.facebook.com/lovethylens You can see her other work on her Facebook page!

As you know you can always find our blog in one of our favorite newspapers The Las Vegas Informer. Check us out under the local interest section: http://lasvegas.informermg.com/ Lastly, as you guys know our blog has a Facebook page; we update it all the time so if you could take a second to like it, that would be amazing!! http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

What Teray Says...

This week we decided to head over to Aces. Aces is a bar that is located on El Capitan and Warm Springs. Brett and I literally live 0.3 miles from there and in the 9 months we have been in our house had never visited. What is wrong with us? A bar that you can walk to and we have never been there; shows how busy we have been. Anyway, I used to not be the bar type, but about 1.5 years ago I made a switch and prefer the casual places. Aces has a pretty awesome set up though if you ask me. There is a bar with gaming, a patio area, a typical restaurant area, and then a man cave which is full of couches, a fire place, and televisions. 

Aces has a real neighborhood vibe. Brett and I being big fans of "How I Met Your Mother" our always looking for our Mclaren's; I think we have found the place. The bartender informed us that most of the people that go there are people from our neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods, so it is definitely a local crowd. 

What is pretty cool about Aces is that they have 3 happy hours, so most of the time that you go there, you will be more than likely to catch a happy hour. I ordered a diet coke and vodka for my first drink and Brett ordered Bud Light. After that I stuck to Bloody Mary drinks being I love them and they were only $3 on special. Yum!

For appetizers we ordered mozzarella sticks and zucchini sticks. Both portion sizes were great for two people being half price and they were delicious as well. I love bar food! 



For our food I ordered a calzone, something I have not had in forever, and Brett ordered a meatball sub. I guess we both went with the Italian theme. I can only speak for mine, but the calzone was fantastic! There was so much of it, of course I gave some to Brett (what else is new). I would order that again if I go there or even get it to go if I felt like having some sort of food that fell into the pizza category. 




Overall, I am definitely going to rate Aces 5 out of 5 because I cannot wait to go there again. We actually are going there tonight to watch the Broncos came. So if you are looking for us on Sunday, if we are not with friends here at the Dragun house, that is where we will be all football season! 

What Brett Says...

We finally did it, after living in our house for 9 months we finally went to the bar that is a whole 0.3 miles from our house.  I think it happened because football season is here and we needed a place to eat and drink, followed by walking home.  DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, drinking and walking is way more fun and usually leads to some kind of funny story.  We went to "Ace's" on the corner of Warm Springs and El Capitan; we drove by it everyday and neglected to ever go...I am a little disappointed in us to be honest.  As for the whole football thing, they do not have a specific team; I would prefer if the Oakland, Kansas City, and San Diego fans choose elsewhere to watch though.

I'll start with the place itself.  The bar area is smaller then what you expect based on the building, but it is a good thing.  I am tired of these Vegas bars that are one giant room with noise in every direction.  In the bar area they have a handful of standard flat screens for the game, they also have Golden Tee and a putt-putt type arcade game.  One thing they have that most places don't seem to have anymore, a juke box.  Once you leave the bar area you enter the "Man Cave" which is a room with leather sofa's, a fire place, and more televisions.  Through the Man Cave you enter a small dining room which is nothing special but it is fairly well separated from the bar area.  They also have a patio but I know nothing about it yet because of the heat.  The place has a Cheers feel to it, just comfortable.

Not knowing what to expect food wise from a bar can be a little scary.  We all know bar food and we all know bar food the next day.  Their website makes them seem like it is a fine dining restaurant as opposed to a local bar.  This made things even more confusing going into the situation.  We happened to go during happy hour (they have three of them) so we splurged and got more then we usually do, we did it for you.  I decided to drink some Bud Lite on tap and Teray was doing her usual MG64 and bloody mary bar routine.  Because it was happy hour we decided to get two of their $5 appetizers; fried zucchini and mozzarella sticks.  The mozz sticks were good but pretty standard, the zucchini sticks on the other hand were pretty amazing.  Both are legit portions and not the BS happy hour portions.  Looking over their menu they do offer a pretty good assortment of things to choose from; you can do anything from regular bar food to things you would find in a normal restaurant.  Well, we were watching some baseball and drinking at the bar so we decided to go for more of the bar food end of things.  I ordered a meatball sandwich with fries while Teray ordered a calzone.  I honestly think these should be featured at more bars, I can't really think of a local bar that has either.  My meatball sandwich was pretty good, the meatballs were huge.  A lot better then a Subway meatball sub.  They didn't overload it with sauce but there was plenty of cheese.  The bun was toasted and wasn't rock hard.  As usual I got to eat a decent amount of Teray's meal, the calzone.  I haven't ventured into the world of calzones, a few here and there, but not a staple.  I have to say that this is what calzones should taste like if they normally don't.  Teray went into more detail but it was damn good.

Just a quick blip about the service.  We only had interaction with the bartender, he was awesome.  He took care of us, joked around with us, and was just a cool guy.  Apparently he works Friday, Saturday, Sunday from 3pm-11pm so I would go then.  I know we will be there Sundays for the afternoon game.  

Overall I would recommend Aces.  When you go sign up for their text message thing, you get a discount and future deals.  I would recommend this bar to anyone.

Rating 4.9 out of 5 (they would be 5 out of 5 but they aren't a Denver Bronco bar)



Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week

Thans to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. I love this jacket. It can be worn casual or dressy and the mustard and navy blue color combination is perfect for the fall. This is just such a staple piece and can be found of course at the Rainbow location.


For all of you fashion lovers there is some exciting news coming for Patty's Closet; two new stores are opening right next to the Rainbow store, Sparkle and Heart and Soul (a shoe store). They are opening on October 6th so mark your calendars! Check out the Patty's Closet Facebook page for all the latest details on store openings and items from shipments on Tuesdays and Fridays http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV . Also, if you are not lucky enough to have a Patty's Closet near you, you can shop online at shop.ilovepattyscloset.com

In the meantime, cheers to everything coming together and being surrounding by the most amazing family and friends we could ask for. Love life. xo

1 comment:

  1. This place sounds sensational. I have yet to find good Italian food in Las Vegas and it just so happens that calzones and meatballs are two of my faves, right along with eggplant parm. Meatballs are always tough because being Italian I always compare them to my mom's meatballs, none ever compare, but if you happen to luck out with kinda close you are ahead of the game. Now Calzones if done right are an amazing food especially if you love ricotta cheese. Will have to check it out! Outfit of the week is ONCE AGAIN...a hit ! The jacket is a great alternative to that stiff structure style and the color is fab. I love how you put the whole look together :)))) Until next week......

    ReplyDelete