Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week 68 Marbella

Hi friends! Can you believe it is October already? Wow, is this year flying! I can speak for both Brett and I that we love this time of year when the weather cools down. I love it for the fall fashions, but that is a given. :) 

Thanks to all the new followers this week on Facebook page and speaking of Facebook, remember you can like our page at: http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants and you can find our blog on the LV Informer in the Local Interest section: http://lasvegas.informermg.com/ .

What Teray Says...

So this week Brett and I had cliche Vegas date of dinner and a show. We hardly ever go to shows because they can be pretty pricey, but I was lucky enough that the people at my amazing new jobs gave us Garth Brooks tickets for free! Garth Brook is Brett's favorite singer, so you can imagine my excitement to tell him we received these tickets.

I picked Marbella this week because I had a bunch of Groupon credit and ended up getting $40 for only $5. What a steal right?! Marbella is located right by the Palms on W. Flamingo. It is a tapas place that has small plates, medium plates, and large plates (which are typical dinner sized meals). 

A word to the wise, Marbella suggests that you make reservations on the week-end. I was a bit puzzled though because when I called earlier in the day the earliest they had was 8:15 and hardly any of the tables were full when we got there at 8:00. Oh well, better safe than sorry. 



I personally did not mind waiting a few minutes to be seated, but Brett was not very pleased with something that happened in the beginning of our date, I didn't even notice it so I couldn't even tell you what it was (I am sure he will explain below).  We started off by ordering carafe of Sangria. The Sangria at Marbella is nothing like the Sangria at Firefly, but it is amazing. To me it tastes more like Italians make Sangria, and I really enjoyed it being that is how it tasted to me back home in Jersey. 




The first two appetizers we ordered were the brussel sprouts (suggestion from two different staff members) and the empanadas. The brussel sprouts are the number one thing you need to try if you go to Marbella because they literally taste like chips; they are amazing. The empanadas (you get four of them) are fantastic as well. We tried our best to order items that we don't get when we go to other popular tapas places and our choices were great so far. 





For our second round of tapas we ordered the lamb sliders which came with sweet potatoe fries and the peppers stuffed with crab meat. Again, both of these were amazing. If they made a lamb burger there I would 100% order it for a meal if I went back. 





For dessert we ordered the torta de chocolate. I was really craving chocolate cake last week and this hit the spot. It is warm chocolate lava cake served with vanilla ice cream. It is quite amazing if you ask me and definitely hit the spot. 



Overall, I would rate Marbella a 4.5 out of 5 and would definitely go back. I liked the vibe of the restaurant (the people, the service, the ear pleasing music being played on the piano). There are so many great choices on the menu I would order totally different things if we go back. 

What Brett Says...

This weeks review was inspired by another Grouping deal.  We like saving money as much as the next person.  We ended up going to "Marbella" which is a fairly new restaurant.  They are on Flamingo where the Ruth Chris steakhouse was.  They seem to do a little of everything; they have tapas, medium sized dishes, and larger entered...so you can decide what direction to take things.  If you decide to go check for a Grouping Now deal.

Real quick before I get into my usual format for the review I have to get my big complaint out there.  As someone that has pretty much had every job in a restaurant I am able to see things that others don't and I know when things aren't right.  The middle aged woman that was working; my guess either the owner or manager.  She is my biggest complaint.  
Customer service is huge for me and so is perception, perception is truth.  When we walked in she was talking to a group of employees, we stood at the hostess stand being ignored by her.  The minute a guest walks in they should be greeted, no ones back should remain turned to finish a conversation.  Ignoring me when you are a supervisor is strike one.  Strike two was watching her correct and discipline her staff while in view of the customers.  At no point should that happen, take it to the back of the house.  Your guests should not be exposed to your employees being managed, it should look like everything is a well oiled machine.  I attribute this to most likely her being new to being a supervisor.  
Now onto the review, starting with the service.  At first I was a little worried because our server seemed to not want to be there and she did not come off as friendly.  She eventually warmed up to us and even became pleasant.  She had some great suggestions and made sure we had everything we needed.  She sold us on a pitcher of sangria and helped convince use to order things we normally wouldn't.  I don't remember her having any help so she actually did a great job once she got rolling.

The restaurant itself was very nice.  It had a glassy feel to it but was still low key enough that jeans and a tshirt were ok.  There was however two girls next to us that were dressed similar to what I would assume off duty Hooker's would wear.  I was also happy that I could see a TV with the football game on.  The one downside to the physical stuff was the tables.  They went with white linen...covered with white paper.  I understand it keeps things clean and makes it easier to clean up.  I however feel it makes the place look a little cheap.  Spend the extra money and just wash the linens after each day.  Next thing you know they will have a paper towel roll on each table.  Other then that the decor was retro and everything created a comfortable atmosphere.

Now onto the part that matters most, the food.  We decided to go with more of the tapas type of meal then a big meal.  We had four different meals and dessert.  We started things off with one of the most unusual types of tapas I can think of.  We ordered their brussels sprouts; not exactly what you think.  Don't think of the brussel sprouts you were forced to eat as a child, think more baked chip style.  I'm not exactly sure how to describe them except to say they were delicious.  I wish they would sell these by the bag.  Our next item were the empanadas, good but nothing special.  Round three consisted of some pretty amazing stuffed peppers.  Round four to close out dinner were the lamb sliders.  After having Firefly's filet sliders I didn't think I would find better taps sliders, I was wrong.  These sliders were right on the money, topped with tzatziki sauce.  I think the one improvement would be to put these on fresh pita as opposed to dinner rolls.  What good meal could be complete without woke dessert.  What dessert is better then chocolate cake?  Well they did a great job with this too.

Overall I was impressed.  There were some obvious improvements that could be made to make them a standout restaurant in Vegas, just don't think they are ready yet.  It is worth going to and you will enjoy.  I honestly hope they see this review and take my advice.  I am so confident in their idea I welcome them to bring me in and tweak things...I'm no expert but I think my experience could help them out a little.  I think they will improve with time.  But they are good enough now to test the tale of time.
Rating 3.75 out of 5


Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Thank you to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. I love a bold pattern, especially on a jacket. The mix of colors on this jacket leaves you with endless possibilities of what to pair it with. Not only is it fashi
onable, but it is so comfortable I thought I was weary a sporty type jacket. I paired it with a pair of black shorts that I got at Patty's in the past and some wedges. You can find this jacket at the Rainbow location!



If you haven't already you need to like the Patty's Closet Facebook page to keep up on all the latest store openings, contests and shipment items. http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV

This week-end Heart and Soul by PC and Sparkle by PC are both opening next to the Rainbow location and I cannot wait. You can find the details right here: http://www.facebook.com/events/367294570017272/  Lastly, if you are not lucky enough to have a Patty's Closet near you, you can shop online at: shop.ilovepattyscloset.com

Until next time, cheers to living the life you've always wanted. xo

3 comments:

  1. You only ordered one item that we ordered. Ours were delishous as well...we had fish tacos, chirozo stuffed mushrooms, coconut flan, and something else...I can't remember! Oh well....if you go back, those items were great as well! :) Apryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah...the mac and cheese! And the empanadas like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious, been to Firefly, so I would probably like this restaurant too. You mentioned they are on the newer side and Brett pointed out that they need to iron a few things out and hopefully they will. As far as the outfit of the week, totally cute!!!! I love jackets because they are wardrobe staples;something you can wear to work or after work. Pretty!!!!

    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete