Sunday, October 21, 2012

Week 71 Firkin

Welcome back everyone! We hope are having a wonderful October. Although it is mentioned every week, we are thankful for all the new views, comments, likes, followers, etc. To hear that you guys now look forward to your date nights as much as we do is pretty awesome. Remember you can find our blog on the Las Vegas Informer http://lasvegas.informermg.com/ under the Local Interest Section. We also have a Facebook page which we update frequently, so be sure to check it out, http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

What Teray Says...

So for the past few weeks driving home from my office I have noticed Firkin, even from the outside it looked like a fun place, and I love to try anything that is fairly new. I have only had English food one other time and it was not a pleasant experience, so I was honestly looking forward more to the drinks and atmosphere than the food when I purchased the Groupon. 

Firkin is located on Paradise right over by the Hard Rock. When you walk in there is an area with booths, then tables and the bar, a pool table area and another room where you can sit and eat. At first we sat in the booth area, but quickly I felt out of the loop and wanted to move over to a table by the bar; the hostess was extremely easy going and didn't seem to mind. 




Our waiter was very nice with a great sense of humor and went over the drink specials. I decided to order a Washington Apple made into a mixed drink because it was on special and Brett got a beer. I was nervous because I didn't know if this apple drink would be strong but Brett assured me that it was basically a shot size of liquor and made into a bigger drink. I had to have two because it was so good. 




We took a little bit to decide what we wanted for our appetizers and ended up going with the calamari. I love calamari, and although it wasn't my favorite type from an Italian restaurant, it was very good. Of course like I mention in many reviews, it didn't taste too fried, which is the main reason that I liked it. 




For our meals I ordered a fried fish sandwich asking Brett if this was an English choice and he got bangers and mash. My sandwich was pretty good, but I would have probably been better off if I ordered a pizza like I wanted to. LOL. I must not be a fan of English food, because I have not enjoyed it either time I ordered it. 





For dessert we ordered the bread pudding, which besides the drinks was the best part of the meal. 




Overall, I really enjoyed the vibe of Firkin, I probably would go back just to hang and not approach it like an English bar, but just a regular bar. I rate it 4 out of 5. 

What Brett Says...


Another week where we decided to let Groupon decide, very thankful to deals.  We have to save some cash when we are averaging $3100/yr on just eating out for the blog.  So given the opportunity to save some cash we jump on it.  This week Groupon was offering 50% deal for "Firkin."  Haven't heard of it, no worries I didn't either.  Firkin is an English restaurant/pub across from the Hard Rock.  They are fairly new, I think they are in the right spot.

drinking crowd.  I since heard that the bar crowd is a pretty good time.  
Not thinking too highly of the area, except for the Hard Rock itself, I wasn't really sure what to expect.  When we parked I was already excited...there was a silver Delorean parked in front.  Being a true child of the 80's I am required to get giddy and hyped by the greatest movie car of all time.  So the restaurant itself is pretty large, a lot bigger then what I thought could have gone in at that location.  They have a large bar area, a good amount of table seats, a bar game area, and a self serve beer wall.  I didn't try the beer wall out but apparently you pay for a number of drinks and have a token type thing that allows you to pour a set number of beers.  The inside had an awesome atmosphere, if I was going out drinking this would be my spot.  It reminded me of an awesome English Pub in Minneapolis...except they didn't have the second floor yard for playing yard bowling.  It is just set up really well, it has a good flow for a food crowd or a 


Our server was a pretty chill guy, he looked like he belonged in an English pub as well.  He had good suggestions and made things flow.  He interacted with us and made sure everything was working out.  He also made sure to take care of Treat with her drinks, she isn't big on shots so he set her up right with some shots converted into mixed drinks.  He would do a good.job getting her drunk for me if I ever needed to see that.  A big plus is that when asked for suggestions he didn't automatically go with pricker items.  He was a key element to us having a great time.

The food was also pretty good.  I was surprised that the menu wasn't overwhelmingly English.  They had some key items but it was a well rounded menu.  We started off with some calamari...it is a safe bet anywhere.  It was really good, the sauce was money.  For dinner I went with a standard of English food, hangers and mashed.  When I go to English restaurants I either get that or the chicken pot pie.  Theirs was really good and filling.  They also bring some English spicy mustard that finishes the taste off perfectly.  I also had a couple Crown and Cokes thanks to their drink specials.

Overall it was a nothing over the top experience.  I don't say that in a bad way, it was amazing.  They just don't try to get crazy with things.  They keep everything simple and everything they do they do it well.  I would like to check out the bar scene the next time I've got some guys in town.
Rating...5 out of 5

Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week


Check out my outfit of the week provided by Patty's Closet Fashion Boutique. I love anything in in the darker shades and the embellishment and metallics in this look make it really stand out. The top is a tunic that flairs out which makes i
t perfect to pair with leggings. Around the neck is so much embellishment is takes the place of wearing a necklace, which is really big for fall. My leggings are also from the Rainbow location, and as we all know with cooler weather now here, fun leggings are on your must have list. My earrings are from Sparkle by Patty's Closet (the Rainbow location) and my fringe booties (available in camel and black) are from Heart&Sole by PC. You can find this whole look at the trifecta of stores located on Rainbow and Windmill. ♥


Make sure you check out the Patty's Closet, Sparkle, and Heart and Soul Facebook pages that are linked above and if you don't have one near you check out shop.ilovepattyscloset.com .

Until next time, cheers to having it all <3 

1 comment:

  1. English Food, interesting. Not something I have experienced (unless an english muffin counts , grin) but apparently menu is varied. Sounds like another cool place to try;I love an English accent. Outfit of the week is so cute! The boots are a must have and I love all the embellishment on the top.So pretty. Sounds like you had another winner tonight and thanks again for paving the path for all of us. I so enjoy your blog each week!!!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete