Saturday, July 28, 2012

Week 59 Buffet at Asia

Welcome back!! Thanks for all of the new likes on our Facebook page this week. We appreciate it!! Our blog is gaining some serious buzz and we have a few fun things coming up that we can't wait to share with you guys, so remember to keep checking back. 


Speaking of that, if you get a chance and haven't liked our Facebook page, please do so! You can just click: www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

Also, remember you can always find us on the Las Vegas Informer website under the local interest section. http://lasvegas.informermg.com/


What Teray Says...


So this week Brett said he was really craving a buffet. When I think of buffets I think of my eyes being much bigger than my stomach and eating like I'm going to the electric chair only to end up with a serious stomach ache. I was not looking forward to it. When he decided to pick a Chinese buffet, I was a little relieved because I knew that I would only stick to eating the sushi, fish items, and the veggies. I am sure many of you can guess why (Brett tells me crazy rumors about Chinese buffets, don't know if those rumors are true or he does it to watch me squirm. Either way... no thanks).  Hehe. 


The Buffet of Asia we chose to go to was over on the east side of town because it was closer to our friends' house that we were going to after. It was located on Eastern in the 4000 block. There is also one over on Sahara and Rainbow and N. Eastern so depending where you live there is one probably close to you. 


Right off the bat walking into the place, we were asked for money by a homeless person. Granted, I am not judging homeless people, but it makes me really uncomfortable and I could not walk fast enough in the high heels I was wearing, total fashion inconvenience. Although the place was packed,  we were seated right away after paying. It was under $30 for the two of us so I can imagine you really can stuff your face for that price. I chose not to do that. LOL.


After getting our plates and soda I made my way over the the rows of food. There were so many choices, but as I said before I stuck to the stuff that I know. I know part of this blog is to be adventurous but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Brett was picking crazy things like frog legs while I stuck to rice and noodles. :)








I made my way through the buffet three times. The first time I got sushi, string beans, and lomein (the noodles) which drives me crazy that here out west they call it chow mein. On the east coast chow mein and lomein are two totally different things.  On the second round I got rice, more sushi, and this fish in a shell thing with cheese (which was amazing!!!!). I have no idea what it was called though and can't remember what the label said. On the third time through I went for dessert and got two little tiny cake things and some peanuts with caramel and sesame seeds on them. It was just enough sweet after the food. 







Overall, I don't have too much to say, but I did like the food that I chose. I think I should have branched out more like Brett but I was too afraid. My rating of Buffet of Asia is 2 out 5.


What Brett Says...


If you are an ordinary Caucasian and you want to really get out of your norm this is how.  Go to "Buffet @Asia" on Eastern, you will be the only white people surrounded by a few black people and a bunch of Hispanics inside an Asian restaurant.  It is definitely a interesting dynamic.  Growing up I had no idea Asian buffets even existed, I don't think there were any around and if there were my parents steered clear.  I came to the realization that these buffets existed my freshmen year of college.  What more could you want being a broke drunk 18 year old?  We would go from time to time; throwing health and quality out the door and just enjoying having a never ending supply of food for a couple bucks.  Well, I left the college life in 2007 and haven't visited a Asian buffet since.  That all changed this week; even though I have a few more dollars in my pocket and I now have a appreciation for culinary skills, we figured why not.

There isn't much to talk about the physical restaurant itself.  It is a pretty standard 1980's buffet; the booths are set up for those with the average waistline of the 80's...I only say this because America is fatter then ever and a Asian buffet may be the most unhealthy all you can eat there is.  I guess it is kind of a show, almost like fat person tetris.  Thankfully Teray and I fit just fine.  The buffet itself looked pretty clean; it had the sneeze shields and there was staff constantly changing the food and wiping up.  The location itself isn't in the greatest part of town, you aren't going to get shot during the day but you may just get shanked at night.  There was a very interesting bum hanging out on their front porch asking for money (he was very polite).  On the way out they had just began setting up a Mexican jewelry market next to the bum, so if you time things right you can do a good deed, get a meal, become cultured, and do some Christmas shopping.  I only point this out because people are so busy these days, this is bound to make your day easier.  

The service was interesting.  I really cannot comment on whether they were rude or not...I could not understand a word they said, in fact the entire atmosphere was different languages swirling around the air.  I will say we did get our drinks, not much on the refill end of it.  We did get our empty plates taken, had to get out own silverware.  And there seemed to be plenty of employees.  I am just thankful we got our own food because trying to get them to understand us and get our order right might have been a challenge.

As for the food.  There was a lot of it, there was variety, and it was hot when it was suppose to be and cold when it was suppose to be.  I can also say that neither of us got sick afterward.  They had traditional Chinese, Mongolian BBQ, Sushi, some American, and dessert.  I did a little bit of trying here and there, I did not try the sushi or the Mongolian BBQ...buffet sushi scares me.  Just looking at the food you feel unhealthy and almost want to call a cardiologist to schedule a bypass...job security for me.  Everything tasted pretty good, it tasted like I remember from college.  I would however say that this is far from memorable cuisine.  The Chinese donut balls were amazing though.

This week I will have two ratings, the current rating by Brett and my college rating by Fish(my nickname).

Brett: 2 out of 5 (based on flavor, atmosphere, and sobriety)
Fish: 3.75 out of 5 (price was a little high for a college kid but who cares about taste...we're drunk)



Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week! I love this jacket...actually let me rephrase that...I'm obsessed with this jacket. In the front it looks like a snazzy white jacket that you can wear to work or to play but when you turn around the pattern on the back is gorgeous and so fun!! I love pieces like this that are unique and can be worn many ways. I paired it with a tank and jean shorts for a casual look, but it can also be dressed up for work. This jacket is available at the Rainbow location!



Fashion lovers, there are so many great things coming up with Patty's Closet right now!! They are opening another Sparkle next to the Rainbow store; they are opening a shoe boutique called Heart and Soul over there too, and new stores are going to be popping up in Jersey and Hawaii. How amazing is that???!!!! 

For the most up to date news on all of these great events check out their Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV. They update their page with new shipment items all the time (shipment days are Tuesdays and Fridays). Also, if you are not lucky enough to have a Patty's near you yet, you can check out their online store: shop.ilovepattyscloset.com

Until next time, cheers to loving life and the real ones in it. xoxo


2 comments:

  1. Never have been to an Asian Buffet, but I can only summarize this from what you told us. You sure won't walk away hungry and if you do you only have yourself to blame. Something for everyone and a good way to try something you may not adventure to order if it were a whole plate full. Outfit of the once again another hit. Love jackets, so chic!!!!!!! Great look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the jacket! Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete