Thursday, June 28, 2012

Week 55 Slice of Vegas Pizza

Welcome new friends and followers and welcome back to our loyal following. We hope everyone is having a great summer so far! Remember if you haven't already please like our blog Facebook page, we update it frequently: http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants?bookmark_t=page


Also, remember you can always find us on the Las Vegas Informer; we are part of the Local Interest section: http://lasvegas.informermg.com/


What Teray Says...






This week we chose to go to Slice of Vegas because quite honestly, they had a great Groupon deal and I was craving pizza. Slice is located within the shops at Mandalay Place. It was cool to go down to the strip because we mainly try to avoid there on week-ends, but it wasn't overwhelmingly crowded which was awesome. 






We were seated and greeted right away. Our waiter was very friendly going over everything and not pushy at all. He let us take our time and take everything in. To drink, I decided to go with the special that night which was a Fruit loop Margarita and let me tell you, not only am I a marg. fan, but the fact that it tasted exactly like Fruit Loops was amazing. Instead of the rim of the cup being outlined with salt, it was outlined with sugar too, which made it extra sweet, but not the overwhelming sweet where you get a total stomach ache from sugar rush. 




As for our food we started with the appetizer of "Not Your Momma's Garlic Bread." This consisted of Italian, garlic bread with pesto on top. It also came with a roasted garlic head to spread which was amazing. This had to be one of the best garlic breads that I have ever had, and being from Jersey, we all know I have had and made amazing garlic bread. 



For our pizza we ordered 12 inch, Miles 10 Meat. This pizza according to the menu is, "Made with a bolognese mix of veal, pork, and ground beef, smothered in mozzarella cheese, and topped with prosciutto, pepperoni, pancetta, sausage, bacon, mortadella and cappacola." This pizza was extremely fresh and the combinations of meat made it very filling. Again, one of the best combos on a pizza that I have had in Vegas. It was a thinner pizza, which I like, and there wasn't a ridiculous amount of sauce like a lot of pizzas. It was pretty perfect if you ask me. 



Brett seems to be on a kick lately that when we go out we order more than one dessert. I went with it because I always love desserts at an Italian food place. We of course had to get my favorite, which is a cannoli and then we got the sack of dough balls, which is zeppoles. Amazing!!! The are perfect size to share with someone. We finished both of course because they were delicious. 


Overall, I LOVED Slice of Vegas. It is way better than most of the pizza places in Vegas and the atmosphere and staff make it a fun place to go. Based on the food, service, and restaurant itself, I rate Slice 5 out of 5 and definitely will return to try other items besides pizza. 



What Brett Says...


One of the most valuable places to have knowledge of is a good pizza place.  Look at all the arguments about NY vs. Chicago, thin crust vs. deep dish, toppings on top vs. toppings under the cheese.  Everyone has their preference and the combinations are endless.  Then there are people like me that have no set pizza type.  I grew up in Michigan where Little Caesars was the go to pizza joint and I am still happy getting a $5 large.  Now that I am with Teray our biggest argument over pizza is the terminology regarding a specific pizza.  What do you call a pizza that only has dough, sauce, and cheese?  I personally call it a "cheese" pizza and Teray calls it a "plain" pizza...feel free to weigh in.  Regardless of type, style, toppings, and terminology it is important to find a place that makes a good pie.  This week we ventured out to see if we could find another place to get a decent pie.  We decided to give "Slice" at Mandalay Bay a try.  We decided to give it a shot thanks to Grouping and their $15 for $30 worth of food.
"Slice" is in the shopping area at Mandalay, it is open air to the hallway of the mall.  It is actually kinds fun being a local and watching all the tourists wander around and act like they are in Vegas...the woo girls, the cool guys, the older women that act like they still have it, and my favorite the fanny packers.  You get free entertainment with your meal.  The place itself is pretty cool, think 50's diner meets local Vegas bar.  They also have random games to play at your table, including Rock Em Sock Em boxing...unfortunately it was taken so I didn't get to beat up Teray.  The service was also very good.  Our server was "Bear," you read that right.  He was actually pretty cool and made the visit better.  He was on top of things; whether it was refills, food suggestions, answering questions, or keeping us updated on our food.  Plus his name is Bear which is cool in itself. 
The food was on point.  They have a pretty extensive menu considering they are called Slice.  We started with some garlic bread..."Not yo mama's" to be exact.  This was some of the best I have had, they even give you an entire roasted garlic to use as a.spread.  If you get this and you are on a date make sure you both eat it...otherwise there will be no making out later in the night.  Teray also ordered a "Fruit loop margarita."  I was a little skeptical since I don't see the whole fruit loop mixed with tequila and margarita mix actually tasting good.  I was definitely Provence wrong, this drink was amazing and I will be making them at home now.  As for the pizza.  We decided to order the "Miles 10 Meat" pizza.  They bring it out in true pizza place fashion and put it on top of a can at your table.  We got the 12" which was plenty for two people.  This was a fairly legit pie, I can't say it was the best I have had but it may be a honorable mention.  I will say they did load it up pretty good with meat.  To wrap up the meal we had trouble deciding which dessert to get, they have a bunch that sounded good.  Not wanting to pick the wrong one we opted to choose two.  We ordered the Zeppoles and the Cannoli.  Zeppoles are deep fried balls of dough dusted in powder sugar.  If you don't know what a cannoli is I feel sorry for you, I would also encourage you to set the blot down and proceed directly to a bakery that had them.  As for the desserts we ordered...they were amazing.  I have had my fair share of zeppolis and cannolis and will say that these were high up on the list.  And ladies, before you talk about carbs and calories stop...you just ate garlic bread and pizza, health went out the window about 30-45min ago.  Just do it.
Overall I was impressed with Slice.  I probably won't frequent them too often considering they are priced for tourists and not locals.  I can't complain about price, I knew what we were getting into.  If I was a tourist I wouldn't complain though.  They did everything right, maybe get some more rock em sock em's but that's about it.  If you go enjoy and have Bear be your server.
Rating 4.7 out of 5


Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my fabulous outfit of the week this week. Summer is here and it is time to take risks and show some skin. This crop top is the perfect mix of classic stripes with this summer's trend, which is the neon trim. It is perfect too gals because you can totally wear a strapless bra if you need to. The skirt is one of my favorite original pieces I have ever gotten at Patty's. It is a mini-skirt under a long skirt, but as you can see by the material, it is super unique. There is a slit in the back and it can be dressed up and down depending what type of top or shoes you wear. This look 
is available at the Rainbow location and I suggest you get it!



Make sure that you check out Patty's Closet Facebook page, which posts all their new items on shipment days (Tuesdays and Fridays) and lets you know about new store openings. JERSEY: Patty's Closet is coming soon!!! Check out the exact location on the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV  Also, you can order items from their website if you aren't lucky enough to have a store near you yet. Just visit: shop.ilovepattyscloset.com

Until next time cheers to longer, sunny days!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the pizza was delicious and the desserts rocked! Groupon deals always make it better.And for the record, a pizza with dough, sauce, and cheese I call a plain pizza. Outfit of the week, to say it in Italian bella..think that means beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete