Thursday, September 29, 2011

Week 17 Bahama Breeze

Hi Everyone! I can't believe we have been doing this for 17 weeks now! We are having so much fun with this blog! Again, thanks to our new Facebook followers and if you haven't already check out our Facebook page, we updated it frequently with all blog related things. 



So, before I begin to review, I need to give a shamless promotion. We the newlyweds, Brett and Teray would really love to win this trip to Hawaii that the radio is giving away. Please take a second and vote for our dog Hannah to win the Real House Pet of Las Vegas contest. You can vote once a day, so the help would be really appreciated!!
What Teray Says...
This week Brett chose to go to Bahama Breeze. A while back Jose from Patty's Closet suggested for us to go there as well and this week our friend Leslie suggested it, so we knew it was a place we would need to visit. When I posted it on the Facebook page, we got a lot of great feedback, so I was very excited to head there and try all the amazing things that everyone suggested.

Bahama Breeze is located on Howard Hughes right by UNLV. I could not believe how big the restaurant was when we pulled up! That place is gigantic! 




We were seated right away when we arrived right next to a Palm tree which I thought was pretty cool. The place reminded me of Jamaica, even though I know it was supposed to be the Bahamas. Our waitress was very friendly and helped us with drink selections right away. I asked her if they had skinny drinks, but I found out they actually were debuting them a few days later (so guys as you read this, there are now many skinny drink choices at Bahama Breeze). I chose a frozen Bahamarita, taking the waitress's suggestion and Brett choice a mojito, because it is one of his favorite drinks. The Bahamarita was one of the best drinks that I have ever had. The Vegas pool scenes need to pick these up because I'd be drinking them all the time. 


We had to get a jerk type appetizer because when we were in Jamaica on our honeymoon I was sick as a dog and could not eat anything but the smell of the jerk is something that stuck with me. We decided to get the jerk chicken wings (8) and let me tell you, they were amazing. The wings were such a big size and the sauce was absolute perfection. Again, something I would love to eat very often. The wings were so big that someone could probably order it as a meal. 


Because I was full from the wings, I decided to make an appetizer my dinner. I chose the crab claws St. Thomas. I love blue crab, so I figured an appetizer portion would be perfect. It basically was a ramekin size bowl of crab with a ton of bread, like a whole loaf. Dipping the bread in the buttery crab sauce was amazing, and the crab was even better. I could not eat it all though and gave it to Brett. He seemed to enjoy it as well. 


 Brett ordered coconut shrimp, the dinner size. I was thinking about getting that but because I have had it before, I tried to branch out, plus I probably would have eaten two shrimp and passed it off, because that is normally my style lately. LOL. From the one shrimp of Brett's that I did taste, it was amazing. The coconut was the perfect amount of sweet and the shrimp was perfectly crispy. 





We finally got dessert this week; I was hungry enough! We decided to go with the pineapple upside down cake because it seemed like the traditional dessert that people would get at Bahama Breeze. I wish I had my own cake and didn't have to share with Brett because it was so delicious, moist and chocolatey (I think I just made up that word) that I was eating it like I was going to the electric chair. I need to learn how to make that dessert!


While waiting for the check, I looked around and snapped some shots of the scenery. I always feel weird when I do this but in Vegas I guess it is normal, because half the people are tourists. 





Overall, I really loved Bahama Breeze. I cannot wait to go back for a happy hour and get a skinny drink. There were also so many menu items I wanted to try, that again it is another reason that I would go back there. Due to our amazing food and awesome service I rate Bahama Breeze 4.5out of 5. 

What Brett Says...

I know I say it almost every week but I drive around all day for my job, this is yet another restaurant I drive by quite often.  So this week I chose for us to venture to "Bahama Breeze."  I  later found out it is a chain, but it seems to be the perfect place for Vegas.  "Bahama Breeze" is located at Flamingo and Paradise on the NW corner.  As we parked my initial thought was that the place was going to be busy and that it looked the part of a Caribbean theme.  Once we walked in my opinion changed slightly; it continued to look the part and it was busy but what surprised me the most at how absolutely gigantic this place was.  

One thing that caught me most about Bahama Breeze was the service, for a place this big and busy we only had one person taking care of us.  Usually a restaurant of this size and it being a chain the server would have a server assistant and/or a busser.  But no, a single person, our server's name was Lindsey.  What makes this so weird is that Lindsey was awesome, she was fun and had a great personality.  You could tell she knows the menu and how to talk to people.  She was attentive, followed up at the right times and even passed a few server tests that I put her through.  As for the layout of the restaurant; like I said earlier it was huge, but not in a weird big.  The place was broken up into different areas all while keeping everything integrated.  My one suggestion is to move the live music to the main room so everyone could enjoy it, we found out on the way out it was in one of the few segregated areas.  I know we took a couple pictures so I will let those describe more of the physical feel.  I did enjoy that we were sat at a booth that allowed us to stretch out and relax, the booth could seat up to 6.

I had barely eaten all day, so by the time we got there I was starving.  Not wanting to get ahead of myself I realized that it was Saturday night and I should be smart and worry about getting a drink before food.  I started with a mojito and later ordered one of their Aruba Red house beers; the mojito was good but didn't stand out, the beer tasted like beer.  After working 12 hours I was kinda hoping the mojito would hit that right spot, it unfortunately did not, still refreshing.  Following drinks we decided to order some wings to get us started, I was starving and Teray was hungry as well.  Not wanting to go to big on the appetizer we just ordered the Jamaican Jerk wings, only 8 of them.  This was good in theory, don't get me wrong those wings were fabulous, however thinking we were staying on the small side was completely wrong.  You know how when you order wings you either get the wing or the drumstick, both around 2 inches give or take.  These wings were the actual wings of chickens, each wing was the drumstick and wind attached and then some.  We legitimately had 4 chickens killed for our appetizer, not just any chickens...prize chickens, prob even won a medal at a county fair.  If I ever host a Super Bowl party I am catering the party with these wings, they were good.  Next it was time for entree's, we ordered them for all of you.  We figured we couldn't write a review of wings and booze...if we can let us know and I will set it up, I just need one of you to join us as our DD that night.  Teray ordered a crab appetizer for her meal, look up at the top and read her review about here meal.  I saw that even though I ate more of hers, it was good.  I decided to go for an oldie but a goodie, coconut shrimp.  The first thing that impressed me by the order was that they give you a good portion of shrimp (and sides).  The shrimp were good, I use to cook coconut shrimp at one of the restaurants I worked at, not as good as mine but good.  I can't believe how full I got off of finger foods.  We played it smart and responsible once again, yes we ordered dessert.  You are wondering why I said smart and responsible?  Well dessert is amazing and it is smart to eat amazing things and we were being responsible because we are looking out for you, it would completely irresponsible for us to not tell you about pineapple upside down cake.  This cake was a "single" order, if you haven't caught on yet everything is bigger then expected...yes gluttony.  The pineapple upside down cake was the perfect size for two people.  Just look at the picture to see what it looked like, to imagine what it tasted like imagine chocolate, sweet dessert sauce, a pineapple with a cherry all heated up to the perfect gooey temp.  Now multiply that by pi (3.14159265) and subtract 4.

Overall I would like to recommend "Bahama Breeze" to everyone.  It would be good for your dates, bachelorette parties, and whatever get togethers you all have.  If you have the opportunity to sit in the room with the live music that might be a cool addition to the night.  All in all not a bad little night; we ate good, drank decent, and had a good time.  

I am giving them a 4 out of 5...portion size, service (Lindsey), and atmosphere got them that number.



Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week

Can I just say that I love that you guys are enjoying my outfits as much as the food reviews :).  It make me smile to read your comments on the blog and Facebook and that some of you go into Patty's Closet looking for the outfit I wore- that is friggin awesome! Anyway, of course thank you to Patty, Juan and Jose of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week. This week I went to the Blue Diamond store which is located in Mountain's Edge. I wasn't sure at the time where were were going so I wanted something versatile. I loved this floral shirt because it is something I can wear so many ways. I chose to pair it over a tank dress, but I wore it with jeans today and it looked just as cute. The shirt is flouncy but has a wait band at the bottom so that it is very figure flattering. There are also slits in the sleeves. See the second picture for a close up. 




If you haven't already make sure to check out Patty's Closet online at http://www.ilovepattyscloset.com/ for all the locations you can go to as well as their Facebook page because it is updated daily so you can see new items, new locations, their t.v. segments and more at: http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV

Today I hit up the St. Rose Patty's Closet to find an outfit of the week and this week-end Brett and I will be going to Grind Burger Bar and Lounge so look out for those things. In the meantime, cheers to food and fashion fusion. 

2 comments:

  1. Bahama Breeze Island Grille, the name in itself sounds relaxing and fun. Looks like a nice place from your pictures. Food looks good and thanks for the heads up about the portions being large, hate to over order. Sounds like a place to go for even just apps and drinks.....but oh the dessert, have to save room for that too! Hey with the skinny drink selections I guess we could splurge on desserts.

    Love the outfit,,,the sleeves are my fave part. It looks "Breezy" so appropo for the place :)
    Kudos to Patty's Closet once again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voted for the Hannah! Hey all you readers don't forget to take an extra minute and vote. Let's get Teray and Brett to Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete