Monday, September 5, 2011

Week 14 India Palace

Happy Labor Day!!! Thanks to all of our new Facebook friends. If you haven't already and could take a minute and like our Facebook page, we would really appreciate it! http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants 

What Teray Says...
This week was my turn to pick and I went with some place that I bought a Groupon for awhile back for India Palace. India Palace is over on the east side right by UNLV. I was very nervous about the neighborhood, which I am with half of the places that we go to, but Brett seemed calm so I went with the flow.


We were seated right away. India Palace is not what I expected inside. It actually is a kind of swanky place on the inside, meaning fancier than I thought. The walls are different colors and there is Indian pictures everywhere and decor. There are also flat screens playing Bollywood music videos (which are sooo risque- haha!), and the bar is a beautiful set up.






As soon as we sat down someone came over to our table; Brett and I decided to both order water (which thankfully we did because there was a DUI checkpoint on our way home). We also were brought these cracker type things with three different sauces. Two of the sauces were so spicy they burned my throat but I loved it because spicy things are some of my favorites. 


For bread we started with this garlic Indian bread, to see the exact name check out Brett's portion, because he has had Indian food before, and I haven't so I am not too familiar. You were given four slices which looked like pizza slices. I didn't think garlic bread was very Indiany (I know that is not a real word) but it was very tasty. The portion size was great for two people. 


It took a little while for us to decide what to order. Brett ordered a Kahari goat dish and I ordered lamb curry. Everyone else seemed to be getting their food quickly, but oh wait...not us. After waiting for about 50 minutes our waiter comes over and asks us if we are ready for the check. Everyone knowing me, I hate confrontation, but was so famished I blurted out "Check, maybe when we get our food first." I immediately put my hand over my mouth in shock. I guess the waiter forgot to put in our order and blamed it on the computer. So overall it took well over an hour to get the food. 

When our food finally did come out we were served white rice and our portions. In the meantime, everyone that talked to us really didn't seem that concerned about it. They just gave us more bread, which wasn't even Indiany like I said before. I was very disappointed that they didn't offer to comp our meal. 


As for my lamb curry, there as maybe five little pieces of lamb. At this point I was so hungry that I ate them in about two seconds. Brett's goat wasn't not up my alley at all. The texture almost made me puke. At this point I was so over this meal that all I could think about was going home and eating one of my Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. 

Like I said, I was not impressed at all with the food or the service. I was really excited about Indian food but this put a damper on the whole situation. All I can say is thank god for good company. Overall, I rate India Palace 2 out of 5. I would like to eat Indian food again though so please share your suggestions!!!








What Brett Says...

This week Teray and I ventured back to the east side of the valley to
have a go at "India Palace."  Teray had a Groupon deal for them, $13
for $26 worth of food.  Going into this week I was ready...I know
Indian food.  Growing up I spent all my time with an Indian family;
when my parents were at work they took care of me.  According to my
mom I use to speak Hindi fluently, I use to "pray" as a Muslim, and I
ate their food any chance I got.  Aside from that I have eaten at
Indian restaurants all my life.  I don't remember much of my
alternative identity as a blonde haired Indian child, but I do
remember the smells like it was yesterday...they say smell is the
sense tied strongest to memory.  Based on that I can tell you India
Palace smelled authentic.  When you pull into the parking lot you
realize 2 things...1-This place looks like a dump and 2-It's pretty
small for a "palace."  Read on to see where things went from there.

Walking through the door completely changes your view.  You go from a
shady looking parking lot to a very authentic looking restaurant.  All
of these authentic places are following the same format; shitty on the
outside, awesome on the inside.  The other common theme is music
videos from the country of origin; let me tell you, Indian music
videos are way better then American music videos.  India Palace is a
small to moderate sized establishment, small bar and maybe 20-25
tables.  Everything was comfortable, the lighting, the seating the
music was a little low (better then too loud).  We were seated at a
booth, we just took a couple minutes to take it all in.

Our server came over; we were still just looking around (in no rush)
so we just asked for water to start with.  After a little bit we
started with an order of Garlic Naan bread, one of the few things I
remember from my childhood was how great the bread was.  It wasn't too
overwhelming being it was garlic, think more pizza garlic bread.
After a few more minutes we decide to order our entree, I went with
Karahi Goat (diced goat stir-fried with bell peppers, onions, and
spices) and Teray went with Lamb Curry.  We were excited, everything
smelled good and everyone else around us seemed to be enjoying their
meal.  While we were waiting we had a good time talking, we even
bought a Groupon for another week.  After 45 minutes the waiter came
over and asked us if we were ready for the check...wait, the check?
Teray just blurts out "Yeah, after we get our food."  At this point I
just about laughed my ass off.  If you know Teray you know she isn't
big on confrontation...that's my department.  The server had this
confused look on his face, the kind you would expect after finding out
your table hasn't gotten their food he put in over 45 minutes ago.
Knowing the restaurant industry I knew he forgot to ring it in.  I let
him know that he could bring us some more bread while we waited.  He
then proceeded to run to the kitchen to beg the cooks to get the order
out as fast as possible.  After a couple minutes who I think is the
manager came by to ask us how our meal was, well I let her know.  She
was surprised that our order was well over 45 minutes (my guess more
like an hour).  She immediately offered us drinks on the house, which
we declined...good thing too since we hit a DUI checkpoint on the way
home.  We finally got our food, it was hot and smelled good.  The
manager came back by to check on us and let us know that she took one
of the orders of bread off our bill.  This presents another problem to
me, I know that when you screw up and take forever on an order it is
customary to give the guest something quick and simple to satisfy
them.  You DO NOT bill them for it.  She said she took it off our bill
like she was doing us a favor, as opposed to doing what should have
been done in the first place.  As far as the actual food goes, it was
delicious.  I would eat it again, just not from India Palace.

India Palace lost all my respect with how they handled things.  I know
how a restaurant is supposed to run, this place failed on every level.
 Not only did the server not check on us when he thought we had
already eaten but he didn't know we didn't get our food for over 45
minutes.  Which means he didn't stop by our table that entire time.
While I appreciate the manager offering us a round of drinks, she
shouldn't have tried to sell their customer service by taking off an
order of bread we never should have charged us for.  In fact, they
should have offered to take an entree off our bill or offer us free
dessert.  We usually try to taste a dessert from each place we go.  We
do this because we enjoy dessert and secondly to give you all an idea
of what each course tastes like.  We opted not to order dessert
because we didn't have another hour to kill.

Needless to say I give India Palace a 2 out of 5, the food is about
the only thing that got them that rating.  I might even be generous
giving them a 2.  Next time we eat Indian food we will be going to
another place, maybe a buffet just to play it safe on time.  So...do
not eat here, that is unless you have to kill a couple hours and don't
mind horrible service.  I think they just need to thank Teray for
being there, had she not been they would have heard some friendly
advice from yours truly.  Until next week...Thanks for reading our
blog.

Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Hey fashion lovers- Teray again! Just wanted to of course thank Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with this week's outfit and Jose of Patty's Closet for helping me pick out my outfit as always and listening to all my random chatter each week that I go into Patty's. This week I hit up the Mountain's Edge store which is on Cimmaron/Blue Diamond. I got this awesome top that is a copper color with black zebra stripes and sequins around the neck. Everyone that knows me knows my two favorite things are animal print and sequins so it was meant to be. The leggings, sandals, and bracelet are also from the Mountain's Edge Patty's. Note: As you guys may have seen on Patty's segments for the MORE show, you should not let your butt hang out in leggings. The reason I am wearing leggings with this is because the shirt is long enough that it covers my butt. HAHA :)


I added this picture because you can see the color of the top better

So good news for all of you Patty's fans! They just opened a store in Summerlin on Saturday. It is gorgeous and they have awesome stuff. It is on Sahara and Ft. Apache in the plaza where the movie theater is. My best friend Cyndi and I went to the opening and we both got great stuff.

If you haven't already make sure to check out their website: www.ilovepattyscloset.com and their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV

This week I will be heading to the St. Rose location for my outfit of the week. I love that store, I just don't get to it as much as I would like with my busy schedule, so I am beyond stoked!!!

Until next week, cheers to it being the last day of summer for most places but for at least a month more of summer for us Las Vegas people. :)

2 comments:

  1. When I read where you would be dining this week,I figured I would read the review, but probably never would go due to my sensitive stomach,much too spicy for me. My question of the day is....Did they not have a working stereo system that they needed the rumbling sound of your empty stomachs for background music ? lol. Oh well, this is what it's all about a dining adventure.

    As far as the outfit....once again a BIG HIT. Love it! I too am an animal print fan, only print I will wear. You are Gorgeous Girl! It's fabulous Patty's is opening up so many different locations.

    Until next week,
    a fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the Indian Palace wasn't that great. The bread looked good but 2 orders and a hour later for food. Come on! (Especially with no drinks). Again you are adventurous.

    The outfit from Patty's Closet is so cute. You look great in it.

    Until next week ......

    ReplyDelete