Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Week 13 Balboa Pizza Company

Welcome back blog readers! Thanks for all of the new Facebook likes. We just found out that our page on Facebook has had over 9,000 views this month. How awesome is that??!!! If you haven't already, please take a minute to like our Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

This week it was Brett's turn to pick, although it turned basically into a mutual pick. We did a staycation at the Green Valley Ranch this week-end, so we wanted a restaurant that was near there and in the District. It was also a plus that there was a coupon in the Entertainment Book. We are all about saving money.



What Teray Says...
A lot of you know that pizza is one of my favorite foods. I would eat it everyday if I could. Add wings into the mix and I am one happy girl. Balboa Pizza Company is a laid back, California inspired place. There are surf boards and pictures of surfing everywhere. It has a very beachy vibe and actually reminds me of the store Hollister.





When we sat down at our table, I noticed the menus were newspapers which was pretty cool. Brett and I had heard that the wings and the pizza were definitely what they were known for, so that is what we were going to order. Our waitress was in a contest to sell the most Blue Moon Summer Wheat beer for the night so Brett ordered some. I am not a fan of beer unless it is a low calorie one. I stuck with water. 



After going through the wing selection, everything looked good and we couldn't make up our minds so we asked the waitress what was best. She offered three suggestions and we took one of the suggestions which was the chipolte wings. The wings came with 10 wings and chips. When the waitress asked us about what I thought was the chips, she said "Ranch or blue cheese?" I responded with, "Wow, blue cheese chips sound amazing." I was embarrassed to find out she was talking about the dip. LOL. 

The wings were spicy, but not too much that burned your throat and made your eyes water. I definitely had to use the wet napkins they provided. There was also a lot of meat on the wings, which was fantastic that I wasn't biting right into bone. 

After finishing our wings we went through all the pizza choices. First, I have to say I love gourmet type pizzas. Second, the pizza was square. I don't know why I think square pizza is better; obviously the shape does not change the taste of the pizza, but for some reason, I like it the best. The waitress recommended lots of the kinds but we went with the chicken pesto pine nut pizza. It was cut into three slices, and we definitely finished it. It is something that I would love to learn how to make or eat again.


We had a coupon, buy one entree get one free, so we ended up getting the wings for free. The original total was 36 dollars and we got away with 32 with tip, the entree, and beers. I really enjoyed Balboa Pizza Company. I have to say though, I prefer an authentic pizza place and if I were to go to a gourmet type pizza place, I would pick Sammy's. I did enjoy it though very much and for that I rate it 4 out of 5. 




What Brett Says...


Even though we weren't watching football we decided to go get some pizza. beer, and wings.  Teray and I selected "Balboa Pizza Co" this week, it's in the District @GVR; we chose it for three main reasons: 1. We were staying at Green Valley Ranch since Teray got a sweet room deal for $25.  2. We found a coupon for buy one entree get one free, I'm all about the deal (who pays full price in Vegas anyways...tourists). 3. We are both fans of pizza and wings, no explanation needed.  I have walked by this place multiple times and have never noticed it.  I usually stick to Al's Garage or the BBQ place when I'm there.  I would love to be writing this review telling you how great the pizza and wings are while watching the Denver Broncos spank the San Diego Chargers; not because it wouldn't happen...because it will, but like I said it was a Friday night and no football to watch.


The first this you notice when you walk in is that you are actually walking in the back door, it's one of those bars where they put two doors in and one of them requires you to walk down a long hall, pass the bathrooms, cut through all the tables, and finally arrive at a hostess stand just to turn around and walk back through the restaurant to your table.  Thats not cool, just put in two hostess stands.  Aside from that you actually get to check out some cool surfer items and photos.  When you do finally make it to the tables it has that "Vegas bar" but with a theme feel.  They have a limited number of tables, bar tables, and of course a bar with video poker.  There were enough tv's to watch a game but not enough or big enough to watch a game you are going to be into, beings it is a California theme they probably get Charger fans so watching your team lose isn't a priority.  I will say this would probably be a decent place to get together with some friends and BS over a couple drinks.


Teray opted for H2O.  We ordered some chipotle wings, 10 to an order but these are the bigger buffalo wings.  We tried them on the recommendation of our server, I'm glad we did.  I have never had that flavor, I will again.  As for the pizza we went with a Chicken Pesto Pinenut pizza.  Never having heard of this I was interested, I am a fan of all three ingredients.  It was good, nothing extraordinary, my biggest problem with gourmet/specialty pizzas is that they are never filling.  When I eat half a pizza after eating 5 wings there is no reason I should still have hunger left over.  I would eat it again but more as an appetizer.  We decided not to go with a dessert; remembering GVR has $0.99 margaritas for locals, why eat dessert when you can go drink it and it has tequila in it?


I am torn on this place when it comes to adding it all up and giving it a rating.  While the food was good the pizza was lacking.  The wings are definitely helping the overall rating.  I think one of my biggest problems is that they are a gaming bar but they charge sit down prices.  If you are going to go with the hang out gaming idea you need to offer a menu priced at that level.  I don't remember the exact prices but they were a little high for what you got.  I think part of it is that it is in the District.  I'm not saying I wouldn't go back but I would have to already be there and someone I am with would have to suggest it.  However, the chipotle wings were a 5/5 on flavor and size alone.  Unfortunately I am giving a 3/5 overall.  Lastly, service was awesome and friendly.  I just can't get over the smallish pizza and pricing for a place that tries to appeal to a hangout crowd, a gaming crowd, and a sports crowd.



Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
First of all thank you to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. I am getting so much feedback on these outfits. People actually stop me whenever I wear them and ask about them. I love that the outfits are becoming another reason that people follow or read the blog. I loved my outfit of the week so much this week. I even wore it for school pictures (had tons of parents ask me about it at meet and greet)!!! This black dress is lined on the inside and has a cream lace and pearl design. On one shoulder there is black lace ruffles. It has elastic around the waist area, but I added a black Patty's Closet belt to cinch the waist a little more. To top it off these lace crochet booties, not only are to die for but they are beyond comfortable. 

Dress available at the Rainbow/Windmill store


These wedge booties are available at the Rainbow/Windmill store
If you haven't already check out Patty's Closet's website www.ilovepattyscloset.com and like them on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV

Also, good news Patty's fans- they are opening a new store on Saturday in Summerlin. Check their Facebook for details!!!

Until next time, cheers to summer turning into fall....

2 comments:

  1. Well you aced the outfit again. I think you might be right my favorite part is the outfit of the week.

    Wings and pizza can't go wrong there. I do agree with Brett, who should be hungry after wings and pizza. Sounds like a fun place though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the Dancing with the Stars judges would do,...I hold up my paddle and ...........10 for this week's outfit of the week...OMG Cutest look!!!!!

    I am going to be honest I am a faithful fan of your blog and so enjoy your restaurant reviews, but the outfit is what I look forward to most..... thinking what will Teray being wearing this week??? Always the cutest!!!!

    I know you and Brett are prompting people to venture out of their normal routine and try somewhere new to dine! And everyone loves pizza. Got to look for groupons

    ReplyDelete