Monday, August 8, 2011

Week 10 Detroit Motorcity Coney Island

Hi Everyone! Again thanks to our new Facebook page followers for the blog. The Facebook page is turning out to be a great success. I am happy people are finding it easier to find the blog. We are getting 100's and 100's of page views a week, so thank you times a million. If you are not a fan of our page yet, if you could go to the link below and "like" it at the top, we would really appreciate it!


What Teray Says:

This week was Brett's turn to choose and he selected Detroit Motorcity Coney Island on Water Street in Henderson. As a lot of you probably know, Brett is from the Detroit area and he is a huge fan of these hot dogs. The way he talked about it made me really want to try. I love what I like to call it "carnival food" so I was very ecstatic about his choice.

Detroit Motorcity is a small place that is loaded with Detroit decor. There are sports jerseys, banners, license plates, etc. all having to do with Michigan. Detroit Motorcity was a "Best of Las Vegas" winner so I could see why it was crowded while we were there. The coolest thing I thought about the place was that you could write on the walls!! How fun is that?!




We wrote "The Draguns" on the wall with our hometown area codes and our present one "702."


We ordered the following items: three Coney dogs (which consists of a hot dog with chili and onions on it), two bags of Better Made chips (Brett got original, I got salt and vinegar), an order of chili cheese fries, and two Faygo brand sodas (I got diet red pop and he got rock & rye). While waiting for our hot dogs, we ate our chips. I think I scarfed mine down so fast that I hardly remember eating them. Brett says they are the best chips he has ever had; for east coast people they kind of remind me of Wise brand chips. 





Next our Coney dogs came out. I have never had a hot dog on with anything on it besides the normal condiments, so I was kind of afraid it was going to be really messy. I am not a fan of messy food. The chili actually stayed on the coney dog with each bite. It was not spicy and not too thick. It was so delicious that if I was someone who didn't care about what I ate, I would have ate another, but it is bikini season still. :)

Lastly, we got our chili cheese fries. Brett poured them out onto a bigger plate and I ate mine with a fork. They were so good, but again not too messy. The chili may have been some of the best that I have had. I guess the chili from what the girl at the counter said comes from National which is in Michigan. Looks like I won't be buying it at Smith's here in Vegas. LOL.

Overall, I really enjoyed our experience at Detroit Motorcity. I would go back again, but I wish it was just a little bit closer. Brett had to buy a case of Faygo soda for home and get this ginger ale which is Verner's to go. We got all of our food for a little over $20, so it is definitely a place you could go with your family. 


I would give Detroit Motorcity Coney Island the rating of 4.5 out of 5 based on rating a "fast food" type place. I took away half a point just because the service was a little bit long, but I think that is due to the fact that there was only one person working. With how many people waiting there definitely could have been more! :)

What Brett Says:

HEAVEN...thats my review.  Seriously though, this week I chose for us to go to "Detroit Motor City Coney Island."  This place is authentic...Faygo, Verner's, Better Made chips, National chili.  For those of you not from Detroit those are all things from Detroit.  Faygo is a type of pop, no not soda...pop, there are random flavors you have never heard of and some you have had before but better because it is Faygo.  Verner's is a ginger ale with a kick.  Better Made are the greatest potatoe chips out there.  In the Detroit area we have tons of coney islands, but the big one is "National Coney Island," National is the go to place for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and that much needed post-bar meal.  Generally you get a coney dog (hot dog, chili, onions, mustard, and sometimes cheese), loose burger, chili fries, and/or onion rings.  Eggs may be substituted for breakfast, this is not mandatory though.  So "Detroit Motor City Coney Island" is the place in Vegas (Henderson actually) that attempts to be everything Michiganders miss and love.  Allow me as an official Michigander tell you how this place did.

The place is small but the scenery hits you hard.  There is Detroit and Michigan paraphernalia everywhere; jerseys, flags, photos, license plates, and even walls covered in marker from people tagging.  It kinda brought me back home, I'm not one to get sentimental and I don't really miss Michigan, but I did while I was there.  I think it was more about the midwest atmosphere and the food/beverage I usually don't get out here.  I felt like I was in a little Mom and Pop food stand in the rougher parts of the Detroit area ie Hamtramck, Hazel Park, Harper Wood.  The best part of the scenery was the fridge filled with cases of Faygo Pop.  As for the service, the girl working was nice but she was the only one working on a Saturday afternoon.  Ideally we would have gotten our order sooner then we did, but there was no way I was doing or saying anything till after I had the hole in my stomach filled.

So the food...authentic.  The coney dogs were spot on to Detroit coney dogs.  I easily could have eaten more, but I wan't to leave with a little void so I would have a reason to go back.  While we were waiting for our dogs we started with a couple bags of Better Made chips.  There really isn't anything crazy good about these but they are good.  Honestly I think it is the fact that they have a little but of a burnt taste that does it for me.  We also had an order of chili fries...never a bad idea.  They were good as well.  The absolute best part of the meal for me was the Faygo and the Verner's.  If I have ever had a conversation with you that lasted more then 10 minutes I have probably brought Faygo up to you, well here is your chance to go and try some for yourself.  I recommend "Rock and Rye," "Redpop," or "Cream Soda."  But they are all amazing.  I did also bring a 12pack home for special occasions.  Next time you come over you will know how much I like you based on me offering you some Faygo...sorry if you are not one of the chosen ones.

Overall I have to say this place is amazing.  While you may not appreciate it as much as I did I am sure you will still enjoy a great cheap meal.  I can attest that this is authentic Detroit flavor and with the construction currently happening in front of the building it makes it even more authentic.  I urge you to go and try the 4 items listed above...go crazy, drink some pop, and whatever you do do not count calories.  Make sure to check the hours before you go though, they close early and are closed on Sunday's.  If you have kids this is a great place to go during the day to get out and have some fun.  

Detroit Motorcity Coney Island rating: 4.75 out of 5...points were lost due to lack of staff and lack of Bell's Oberon beer (the only thing Michigan it was missing)


Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week:
Again, thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's closet for providing me with this adorable leopard shirt this week. I love that it is a crop top that can be dressed up or down and the fact that it is animal print makes it so much better. I knew that we were going to a causal place so Jose helped me pick this casual shirt and I paired it with a pair of my own denim shorts. 



If you are not a fan of Patty's Closet, check out their website at: www.ilovepattyscloset.com
and like their Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV

Due to the fact that I leave for NJ on Wednesday, Brett and I will be hitting up our next stop on Monday the 15th- so stay tuned. Until next week, cheers to fun, food, and hometown connections. 

3 comments:

  1. Now this week is definitely a different twist. Love places that the decor becomes part of the experience. In today's economy , it is very refreshing to see there are still restaurants that you can take a family without spending your week's grocery allowance. Sounds yummy in the tummy (sorry for being corney, but seemed appropo). Will definitely check it out, pop and all!

    Outfit of the week,perfect for where you went. Animal print is by far my favorite pattern and so in right now. Adorable as always!!!! Can see this casual as worn or dressed up, too. The outfits week to week, like the restaurants, are vary varied.

    Enjoying this weekly blog sooooooooo much. Keep up the good work! Happy blogging, until next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will bring some Oberon up the next time I drive there...I keep forgetting to bring some! This looks like a place Trevor and I will need to check out next time I visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good pick this week, something a little different for you two. Of course hot dogs appeal to everyone for a fun outing. Kind of like the Jersey Shore when you just drop by Max's in Long Branch or the Windmill for a great hot dog. Nothing special just damm good!!!!!!!!!!!!

    The the outfit of the week. Casual, sexy and fun. Even the added braid in the hair. Great choice from Patty's Closet again. Looking forward to next week's look:)

    ReplyDelete