Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Week 12 Grape Street Cafe

Hi Everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read our blog again. We love the feedback that we are getting via Facebook, email, Twitter, Blogger, and in person. If you haven't already, we would love it if you would take a minute to like our Facebook page. 


http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

What Teray Says:
This week I chose Grape Street Cafe. I have heard so much about it from many friends and Brett found a Groupon one day online, so it was meant to be. With the Groupon, for $54 dollars you get a pre fixe menu of two glasses of wine, one appetizer to share, one meal item (from either the pasta, sandwich, burger or pizza section) and one dessert item to share. 


To start out, Grape Street is designed to look like a wine cellar. There are lots of twinkle lights, candles dimly lit, dark woods, etc. I love the feel of these types of restaurants. It definitely had a romantic atmosphere and I think it would be somewhere that I would love to have a birthday dinner or an event. It is laid back, but fancy at the same time. 






Brett and I started by ordering water and the waiter brought out bread. We looked through the wine menu and at first chose a Riesling with the name "dragon" in it because that is our last name, but the waiter suggested a more expensive Riesling called JJ Christoffel 2009. This wine was $16 a glass, which may not be a lot to some, but Brett and I are not wine snobs so we normally don't order wine at that price. It was included though, so we went for it. Let me tell you it was the best Riesling I ever had. It was so crisp and not too sweet. I had to sip very slowly so I could savor it throughout the whole meal. 


As for an appetizer, we chose the fruit and cheese plate, but the water suggested another alternative of buffalo mozzarella, red peppers, asparagus, and baguettes. I am so happy that he did this because the cheese in this appetizer was beyond amazing. I am normally a cheese lover, but my love went into obsession when it came to this. There was just enough food for both of us to have a good amount, without being too full for our dinner. 


For our dinner, Brett chose to order penne vodka with chicken and I chose to order shrimp primavera with white sauce. I am not the biggest "red sauce" fan, so I love when a restaurant has pasta with white sauce. The thing that made me order this was that there are pine nuts in it, which I have been cooking with lately. I did not taste Brett's but as for mine, it was delicious. The sauce was not too garlicy at all and the grilled veggies that were soaked in the sauce were fantastic. It wasn't an overwhelming amount of angel hair pasta either which was awesome, but there was still enough that I had a whole portion for lunch the next day.



After our delicious dinner we had to decide on dessert. We didn't really debate, because it was an easy decision. We chose to get the chocolate fondue or as I like to call it "fun"due. The things that were given to us to dip in the chocolate were pineapple, apples, pears, strawberries, bananas, and pound cake. This dessert was so good I could have literally drank the whole bowl of chocolate, but I didn't of course!


Overall, I would definitely return back to Grape Street Cafe. I guess on Mondays they have 50% off wine, so I would love to go back then. I know that Brett will reference the bill. The price we both thought was excellent. The waiter added in tip though, which Brett does not like. He is a very generous tipper, but when people add it in, they lose from him at least. He thinks it is the customers decision to decide how good you were as a waiter. Overall, I would definitely rate Grape Street 5 out of 5 and it is now in my top favorites. I CANNOT WAIT to go back there!




What Brett Says

So this we was cool; we got to go out on a Saturday night date...a first for us.  Not only was it a weekend date night but it was also a deal since I bought the Groupon.  This week Teray chose to go to "Grape Street Cafe," this is a wine restaurant at Lake Mead and Buffalo, we had gotten the suggestion from a handful of people, mix that with the fact I got a $54 prix fixe deal and we were ready to go.  

Grape Street is an awesome date place.  They have an extensive menu, relaxing atmosphere, a huge wine selection, and some very attentive servers.  Yet another strip mall find the outside is another place you would walk by without thinking twice.  Once you walk in the door you get a whole different feel, the inside has a mix of trendy italian winery feel.  I'm not sure it that makes sense, it might make more if you go an see for yourself.  The walls are covered in bottles of wine, everyone eating there matches the feel, and it has some lighting conducive to trying to be romantic.  The only thing I mentioned to Teray is that I wish I could have been there when it was completely dark outside, just to see if the feel was different.  But I am now working a day shift so I go to bed early like an old man...another month or so and I will be blogging about the dinner we had at 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

So now for the meat and potatoes part of the review...the food.  With the prix fixe option we were able to choose any appetizer, any two glasses of wine, pretty much any two entree's and any dessert.  Our combination came out to be $92, I think we figured you could end up with close to $150 for the $54 Groupon.  We ordered two glasses of their best Reisling, which was probably the best wine I have ever had.  For the appetizer we went with the special which was a mozzarella dish, I am not sure of what all it was but I was a fan of it.  For dinner we each went with a pasta; I chose a vodka penne with chicken...good but closer to average compared to everything else we had.  To finish it all off we chose the chocolate fondu for dessert.  Imagine a big hot bowl of chocolate that you can dip angel food cake, pears, apples, pineapple, strawberries, and bananas in...awesome.  I mean how can you go wrong eating with mini spears.  I can honestly say that the food didn't need to be changed, I say my entree was average but it was still good; vodka penne isn't something that you can be outstanding with, kinda a consistent staple pasta.

To wrap things up I want to say that our service was one of the top things to remember.  The hostess was nice, our server was all about taking care of us.  He made sure we always had what we needed and always had a suggestion ready to go.  Even when we were sold on something he would come in and completely change our minds, mark of a true salesman.  He made our dinner better and kept us from playing it safe.  He was also helpful in making us realize that we could go all out considering we had already paid.  His tip was added to our bill based on the total cost before the Groupon was taken off.  I use to be a server so I understand playing it safe and getting that set tip.  Unfortunately for him my personal policy is that if you make the decision to tell me what I have to give you as a tip then thats what you get.  I was all about giving him more but he chose to go with 18%..Prob would have made another 10% if the decision was mine.  I think his name was Carl, not sure but if it is go with Carl.

If you want a summary that isn't going to happen...just reread the review.  But I will tell you I am giving Grape Street Cafe a 4.5 out of 5.  I can't point to one specific thing as to why they lost 1/2 a point but I can't say it was perfect earning them 5.  But well worth going to, save this one for a date.  Guys...save this one for when you screw up and need to get back to her good side.




Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week


Of course, a big thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. I loved this dress. It is a strapless, sweetheart neck style with built in bones which helps it stay up. The skirt is a satin like flowered material, which has lining underneath to give it that extra poof. 




Oh, so check out those booties I have on! They grey suede open toed with a zipper in the back. They are perfect for fall and winter. I love booties, especially wedges, because they are so comfortable! 


If you haven't already, check out Patty's Closet online at www.ilovepattyscloset.com and like them on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV
They are opening a new store over Labor Day week-end!! I cannot wait! Check their page for details!


Until next time, cheers to fun, food, and all things fabulous!





2 comments:

  1. Nice place, sounds very romantic. The wine sounded great and meal looked delicious. Love the pictures, this way you feel like I been there myself. Sounds like a place good to go on a special occasion.

    The outfit of week yet again - Looking great. Saw Patty Closet's on fox the other day showing how to change your summer look right into fall. You can do that with alot of your outfits. On a personal note they should of used as the model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The place sounds absolutely wonderful,like a romantic getaway in a winery in Italy. Being an Italian, thumbs up to that! The food looks amazing; I personally like when a waiter suggests because they know what their restaurant specializes in. Your whole dinner sounds yummy and like the poster above said the pictures add to making the experience almost like we were there. Well, I now know a place I want to try when I go on a special date. Bella beautiful for the outfit! Bella beautiful for the girl! Colors are so pretty and what woman doesn't love snazzy shoes!

    ReplyDelete