Thursday, August 18, 2011

Week 11 Landry's Seafood

Hi Everyone! Welcome back and thanks for checking out our latest review. This week we were supposed to do our date night at Grape Street Cafe because we got an awesome Groupon (which was my pick). When going to print out the Groupon, we realized it couldn't be used on Mondays, so we will be going there Saturday. Due to the fact that I don't like to think of where to go right on the spot as your have learned in one of our previous blog posts, Brett took it upon himself to choose and my pick would be this week-end. Brett chose Landry's Seafood. I thought it was kind of funny that my outfit of the week for this week provided by Patty's Closet was sailor inspired and I was going to a seafood place, but I decided it was meant to be a theme. :)


Also, we have some very exciting news to share about this blog within the coming weeks. If you haven't already like our Facebook page for all the latest updates!
http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

What Teray Says:





Whenever we go to a place I always look at the menu online first. I like to know going into the experience what my choices are, that way I don't waste time deciding. I read that they had a pretty awesome Happy Hour, but you would have to sit in the bar, which was fine with us! We started off with mango mojitos which are there signature drink. They were only $5 a piece and huge (this girl was feeling a buzz after finishing it). While deciding if we would order real food, or happy hour food (which you can do both at the bar) Brett and I decided to get southern fried pickles (which are my favorite) and shrimp quesadillas, which were only $3 and $4. The portions were pretty good for happy hour size. You got about 30 fried pickles (which were amazing by the way) and 3 shrimp quesadillas. The shrimp was so fresh and they were not loaded with too many ingredients, so you really could taste the shrimp. 

After debating if we would order real food off the dinner menu, we decided we would just order appetizers off the happy hour menu because so many things looked good. We then decided to order fish tacos $5, stuffed shrimp enbrochette $5, and crab, spinach, and artichoke dip $5. The fish tacos were probably some of the best I ever had. I ended up eating mine (you get 2) the next day because I was way too full to even attempt to try it there. I always thought that Del Taco would hold the place in my heart for fish tacos, but Landry's has topped it. The avocado salsa within the tacos is what made them so delicious. The stuffed shrimp enbrochette (3 large shrimp wrapped in bacon with seafood stuffing, Jack cheese and jalapenos, served with Mornay sauce) was excellent, but very rich. I couldn't imagine eating more than one. I never thought of mixing shrimp with bacon, but it was actually like I said very good, but very rich. Lastly, the crab, spinach, and artichoke dip is also something that I ended up eating some at home the next day, because I was too full. It was delicious though and you could really taste the crab. Spinach and artichoke dip is my favorite appetizer, so by added the crab, I knew I would love it even more. 


Fish tacos and shrimp enbrochette
Crab, Spinach and Artichoke dip



In between our food Brett ordered another mojito and I had a glass of Riesling (my favorite wine). I was really pleased that we decided to go with appetizers, because they were all very filling and there would have been no way that I would have been able to finish a real meal off the dinner menu. The staff was very friendly and we got to know them by first name. Everything came out in a timely fashion and we were always taken care of, but not in an annoying way. The bar was definitely somewhere were you could go with coworkers after work for happy hour, which was what many people in the place were doing. Overall, I would love to go back to Landry's to try something off the dinner menu. I rate Landry's 5 out of 5 based on happy hour ratings. 


What Brett Says
This we had another detour to deal with.  We originally planned on going to Grape Street Cafe, we had a Groupon all lined up...that is until we printed it out and saw that we couldn't use it on a Monday.  So I took another turn and chose, Grape Street will be the next review.  I chose Landry's Seafood restaurant, I have never heard anything about it but on my job one of our posts is Sahara/Rancho...so I park and stare at this place at least once a shift.  I figured it was time to go in and check it out.  Teray did a little research and found out that everyday from 3pm-7pm the bar area has happy hour drinks and appetizers.  I was sold.

My review is completely from the happy hour and bar experience, I cannot speak to the dining experience or entrees...I will say the dining room looked impressive and all tables were dressing in white linen.  After a long day in class I figured it would only be right to start with a drink...house specialty is the Mango Mojito, it was good (good enough to make me order more).  We decided to sit at the actual  bar, which worked out well because of Candece (bartender) and Tony (manager).  They were both friendly and talked just enough to keep the energy up.  Aside from their personality their service was awesome; food came fast, drinks poured quick, and water refilled without requesting.  Teray and I started with an order of fried pickles and a shrimp quesadilla.  Both were good but neither was anything worth going out of your way to get.  We then decided to just make this an appetizer experience, how could you go wrong with a large selection all for $5 or less.  So we ordered some more drinks, fish tacos, crab/shrimp/artichoke dip, and stuffed shrimp enbrochette.  Now this round of apps were worth stopping in for.  The tacos were amazing and large enough to fill you up.  The dip was thick and chunky with plenty of chips.  The enbrochette was the best part of the meal; I can't really tell you what it was exactly, I can tell you that shrimp was involved as well as bacon.  Beyond that just that it was amazing.

Here is a link to the happy hour menu:
Like I said everything was under $5...drinks and apps.  I think for 3 mojitos, 1 glass of wine and the 5 apps our bill was only $44.

I know this weeks review is shorter than usual and probably lacks all the humor you all read for but it is tough to write too much about a happy hour.  We were there for about an hour and I was happy so it was a success.  The only downside is that we got such fast service and filled up pretty quick that we didn't get to spend more time hanging out together...we could have but that would have required more drinks which would have made the 10 mile drive home more difficult.  This week I am not going to give Landry's an actual number rating, without actually sitting down to eat a meal I don't think it would be a true representation of them.  I will instead say this: the mango mojitos are good, not too small and only $5.  The apps ranged from good to amazing, nothing was out of this world good but for a $5 or less menu they exceed the quality expected for the price.  The bar was comfortable, busy and fun.  The service was amazing, friendly and conducive to making happy hour a good time.  I would go back for happy hour any time, I feel it would meet the needs of any group (except those allergic to shell fish) looking to kick back a few drinks and maybe snack a little.





Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Of course thank you to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for provided me with this adorable dress this week. I fit right in with the nautical vibe. I got some comments on Facebook that you guys wanted to get this dress; I couldn't agree more. It accents your shape in all the right areas because the white straps and gold buttons fall right on the indent of your waist. This dress is form fitting though, so if that is not for you, buy it a size bigger than your normally wear. :) This dress is available at the Rainbow/Windmill Patty's Closet. 



If you haven't yet check out Patty's Closet's website: www.ilovepattyscloset.com or like them on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV

They are opening up two new stores soon! One in Summerlin over Labor Day week-end and other soon in the northwest. To see exact locations check out their Facebook page. 


Saturday we will be checking out Grape Street Cafe so stay tuned for that review. Until next time, cheers to making the most of what is left of the summer!




4 comments:

  1. I love landrys!!!!! I have dined there and it is exceptional as well but a little more pricey than what happy hour was for you guys!!! It's one of vegas's great spots that keeps its old school classyness :)

    Your bff, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to first comment on the outfit this week....................I LOVE IT...Reminds me of something Kate (the wife of Prince William) might wear while in the United States. A definitely winner!

    As far as the restaurant, a definitely must. Appetizers are always so fun and a great way to try different foods you might normally drift (:)) away from. Very reasonable,too. From the pictures, everything looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops *definite winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I has pass that place millions of time. I heard it was a good place to go to dinner. But I like what you guys did sometimes it just fun to do the whole happy hour experience. sounds pretty good and reasonable.

    Hands down the cutest dress you look great. I would rate you a 10 in this!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete