Thursday, September 22, 2011

Week 16 Bootlegger's

Hi Everyone! This week the blog post is a little later than normal because I (Teray) have been sick. I am glad I felt well enough to out this week, even though we almost didn't make it. Again, thanks for all the feedback on the blog; we love that you guys are taking the restaurants recommendations! We know the majority of you get the link of the blog through our Facebook page, so if you haven't already check it out. We have daily updates, pictures, etc. 


http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

What Teray Says...
This week I chose to go to Bootlegger's for Italian food. Normally this time of year Brett and I always go to the San Genaro feast and have been since we both moved here, but because I was feeling under the weather, we couldn't make it but I still wanted my Italian food fix. A few week's back Brett bought a Groupon for Bootlegger's which included two glasses of wine, an appetizer and two entrees for $48. 






Bootlegger is located on Las Vegas Blvd. over by the outlets. When you go in the place is very big. There is a bar and dining area. The decor is very old school with lots of famous people on the wall. The color of the red walls is what I want to use as a paint color when Brett and I get a house. I really wanted to ask the owners what color the paint was, but I didn't. LOL.






We were seated right away and a waiter came right over. We told him that we had a Groupon and he guided us in the right direction as of what to do. I guess the Groupon had been very popular that week. We started with wine, and what a shocker, Brett and I both got Riesling. 


The waiter put our appetizer order in right away and while we were waiting we got these garlic knot type things that were to die for. I am a huge garlic fan; everything I cook with normally has some type of garlic in it. (Just ask Brett). I could not help but look around as we sat there noticing a piano, more pictures of famous people, and the gorgeous decor. Within a short amount of time our appetizer arrived which included: calamari, fried ravioli, and shrimp scampi. The shrimp scampi probably was some of the best that I have ever had in my life. The fried ravioli was perfectly done, because it was not too greasy, which we all know I hate when it comes to fried food and lastly, the calamari was to die for and I tried to pick out all the pieces that looked like they had octopus legs because those are my favorite, even though the circle type ones that look like rings taste the same. 
appetizer platter




After enjoying our appetizer, Brett ordered some more wine (I ended up having to give him most of my wine because it was not mixing well with my antibiotics). Brett decided to order the special which was a 12 oz bone in pork chop and I ordered one of my favorite Italian dishes of chicken franchese which came with  fettuccine alfredo. I took one bite of Brett's and can say it was very tender, but he will speak more on his food. My chicken franchese was absolutely to die for! The chicken was very thick and cooked to perfection. The franchese sauce was not too lemony, but just the right amount of thickness to not be too rich. The alfredo was fantastic, and such a treat for me because it is something that I never even entertain eating due to calories. I ate almost every single bite because it was so fantastic. I would compare it to chicken franchese back home in NJ which is a huge compliment because NJ is the capital of Italian food. 


My chicken franchese
Brett's pork chop
So we had dessert for the first time in a few weeks because no matter how full I am, I never would pass up dessert at an Italian restaurant. Of course I had to pick my all time favorite dessert of cannolis. The cream inside was perfect thickness and not too sweet and there was the exact right amount of chocolate chips. There as one for each of us, and it was a very decent size. 

Overall, I would rate Bootlegger's a 4 out of 5. I am a very harsh critic when it comes to Italian food but this place is amazing. I would love to return there next time and try another pasta dish and dessert. I also would love to sit at the bar because the people over there looked like they were having a lot of fun. This is definitely a place to go for a romantic date, and that is just what we did. 


What Brett Says...


So after 15 weeks of random restaurants my New Jersey Italian wife chose an Italian joint. "Bootleggers."  What made it better is I found a Groupon to get another prix fixe meal, you can't beat paying a set price for multiple courses.  If you aren't familiar with "Bootleggers" it is just south of the outlets at Las Vegas Blvd and Robindale, east side of the blvd...kinda obvious.  I drive by it often, always thought it was a upscale Vegas locals bar.  It is but with a nice restaurant surrounding that bar.

This week I will start with the food.  Like I said we had a prix fixe; it came with an appetizer sampler, two entrees, and two glasses of wine.  The sampler was some fried calamari, fried ravioli, and some shrimp scampi.  Out of the three of these the ravioli was the best; he other two were something you would expect from "Fazoli's," neither were bad but lacked much of a flavor...the ravioli was pretty bomb though.  As for my entree I chose to get the special; the 12oz bone-in pork chop with potatoes and asparagus.  It was good, again nothing stood out but I would order it again.  The meat was tender, the sizing of the entree was more then I expected, and the potatoes had an original flavor...what that flavor was I don't know.  To round it out I ordered a glass of the only Riesling on the menu, what can I say...it was wine and it was good.  We took it beyond the prix fixe and ordered dessert this week...cannolis.  I can happily say that the cannolis were awesome, there were two and good size.  The filling was good, I'm talking old Italian grandma good.

The next part of this review will be short and sweet, about the service.  Service was good; drinks and refills were prompt, the staff was friendly and helpful, and timing was right.  I don't remember our servers name and I couldn't pick him out of a line up but he was good.  

As for the atmosphere.  We were sitting in the restaurant part of the establishment, which was extremely nice and well organized.  At times you kinda feel like you are on the outside of where all the cool kids are...you can see the bar, you can hear the bar, and you think you might be part of the fun but you know in reality you aren't.  I think there needs to be more separation of the two...or more integration of the two.

I know this review is shorter then most of mine, sometimes it is hard coming up with enough of the clever funny things you all tune in for...because lets be honest, you are here for my opinion on restaurants not Teray's outfit of the week (yeah I know I am just pumping up my own ego).  I can't really blame you though, she is a hottie.  But in all seriousness I think you can take my lack of substance as a good indicator of "Bootleggers."  It wasn't good enough to rave about and it wasn't bad enough to tear apart.  I think they are just confused as to what they want to be, are they a good Italian restaurant or a local bar...if they want to be amazing I think they need to choose one of the two and push more in whatever direction that is.  The food was good, but more bar quality than stand out restaurant.  The service was good, but I wouldn't go back just for that.  I would like to try it again but on a weekend night at the bar, I think it might be a little bit better.  Since I go with a 5pt rating scale I have to go just on the upside of average...Bootleggers gets a 3 from me.





Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Thanks to Patty, Juan and Jose of Patty's Closet for providing me with and helping me pick out my outfit of the week this week. I love what I wore this week because it is extremely versatile and grey is such an easy color to wear. One sleeve is a normal short sleeve while the other is a boat neck type style, so it falls off the shoulders on both sides, giving it kind of an 80's vibe. There is also embellishment of silver, copper, and gold stud detail. I wore this dress on Sunday with a tank dress underneath so that it wouldn't be too short, but yet I wore it again today with jeans as a top. I love when outfits can be used in more than one way!


This outfit can be found at the Blue Diamond and Cimmaron store. The booties I am wearing I bought a couple of weeks back at the Rainbow store. If you haven't already you should check out Patty's Closet online at www.ilovepattyscloset.com and like them on Facebook to see the clothes each store gets every week http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV


Until next time, cheers to fall, fun, food, and fashion. xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hello Teray and Brett,
    Again thank you for your blog. Bootleggers happens to be a restaurant I have visited and thought the food was delicious. Didn't try the appetizers or the dessert, but think I will next time I go. As your said, the decor is awesome , lighting is great, and you really feel like you are out for an evening with your date. As a faithful follower of your blog, for the record I look forward to the review , but as a woman the outfit is like the circulars in the Sunday newspaper, you look at that first! Adorable as always..Love the versatility of it!

    Until next week!

    ReplyDelete