Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Week 61 Oyshi

Welcome back friends! Thanks for checking us out again this week! We are blogging quicker than usual this week because I am going to be getting more gum surgery Thursday and Brett will be out of town with his buddies, so our date night Willa be Wednesday this week. 

As I keep mentioning we have some fun things coming up for this blog, some of which will be happening next week-end so be sure to check back. If you have not already, like our facebook page! We update it frequently and love all the feedback. www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants 

Also, as I mentioned last week, I have a Twitter account and talk a lot about the blog on there (Brett will not tweet, he is resisting...haha) so you can follow me there @TerayDragun.

Last, remember you can always find us in the LV Informer under the local interest section: http://lasvegas.informermg.com/ 

What Teray Says...

So this week Brett and I were both craving sushi. We didn't feel like driving too far so we headed back over to where we used to live on Rainbow and Robindale and hit up Oyshi. Let me just start by saying, Oyshi is one of the best sushi places in Las Vegas. Just ask anyone; it even was voted a favorite in a poll I saw online in LV Weekly. 

Oyshi has all you can eat sushi, which was what we were looking for. We don't get all you can eat sushi because we are pigs; we get it because of the value. Think about it, you can either order 2 special rolls and spend around 25 bucks or you can get all you can eat and try as much as you want and have the choice of almost everything on the menu. You cannot go wrong! You also can share with other people who are doing all you can eat and you get a two hour limit, so for Brett and I, it is perfection.

This review is  going to be short and sweet because I am not going to go into detail about each type of fish in each roll. I will break it into two categories: food and service.

As for the food we ordered the following items off of the menu: dynamite roll, spider roll, vegas roll (which has no rice and is amazing), seaweed salad, spicy sashimi salad, miso soup, edamame, sunset roll, raw oysters, rainbow roll, yellow tail roll, double salmon roll (2x), mochi mango ice cream and an ice cream parfait. 






Everything was great. The portions were huge and the fish and veggies were fresh. They added many new items to the all you can eat menu, which I didn't try except for the spicy sashimi salad but I will next time if I am craving some crazy, elaborate rolls.  Also, you can see we ordered the double salmon roll twice, because it was that good. I think  it might be one of my new favorite rolls. 






The service was probably the best service we have had at a sushi restaurant in Vegas. I know this because Brett left him a really big tip. :) Our waters were always full, our food was brought out at a nice pace and our table was always clean. The service was definitely top notch.





Overall, I rate Oyshi a 5 out of 5 and say if you haven't been there you have been living under a rock. Definitely make this your next stop when you are looking for a place to go out to eat. 

What Brett Says...


Man this blog is taking us places.  I never thought I would go to 61 different restaurants in 61 weeks; kinda makes me feel pathetic that before I rotated less then 10 restaurants.  We haven't even scratched the surface yet, places are opening all the time.  We appreciate all of everyone's support.  This week was my week to choose and I decided on sushi, my partner that day was talking about sushi and it just got stuck in my head.  I had every intention of going elsewhere but when sushi gets in your head there is no substitute...you have to get sushi.  Lucky for us Vegas has tons of All-you-can-eat(AYCE) sushi options; I decided to take us to "Oyshi" at Rainbow and Robindale.

Oyshi is pretty happening; most of the tables were seated.  There was a good friendly feel in the air, turn the music up, break out the saki, and I am confident we could have had a party going.  The layout is different then most strip mall restaurants; there is actual space to move around and feel comfortable.  One thing I really liked was not feeling like I was in on everyone's conversation, while we sat in the main room Teray and I had room to relax and talk.  There is a large sushi bar with televisions to watch sports, looked like they interacted well with the staff.  Overall it was a simple decor, not anything out of the ordinary for a sushi restaurant...but far from over the top.

I was curious how service was going to be with us doing AYCE sushi, some places are on top of things and others seem to ignore you to prevent you from ordering more.  Oyshi gives you a two hour window which is awesome since most places are one hour...unfortunately the saki is not included.  In the beginning I thought we were in for the kind of service you want to forget.  We placed our initial order, nothing too complicated...3 rolls and some side items.  I was starving, possibly to death, and it legitimately took forever to get our first round of food.  Kinda weird since it didn't really pick up until after we placed our initial order.  I have never worked in a sushi restaurant, I have made it a few times, and it isn't the most complicated thing in the world.  After the food finally came we just kept placing staggered orders which seemed to work out well cause there was always food coming.  Our server was great; always made sure we had drinks and always asking if we wanted to order more.  Other then the initial wait for our food there was no issues with the staff.

The sushi itself was very good, I would rank it up there as some of the best sushi I have had.  I truly took advantage of the AYCE situation, I personally was responsible for the deaths of at least 10 fish, several vegetables, and two avocados.  Everything was very fresh and they didn't load the rolls up with rice to make us full.  The one weird thing was that on the Rainbow roll the avocado was wrapped inside the roll instead of on top, it was good, just weird.  I wish I would have tallied how many pieces of sushi I actually ate, a good estimate would be >50 plus soup, edamame, oysters, and salad.  After I was done gorging on sushi and the like I decided I should have the included dessert, well two of them.  I had the parfait and some red bean ice cream, both were good.  Besides the lack of free saki the dessert being limited was also disappointing.  I rarely see AYCE places limit dessert, especially since it is cheap and filling.  But at least they give you two hours to do damage.

Overall I really liked Oyshi, there were a few things that disappointed me.  I will definitely return here, $58 for two people to eat unlimited sushi for two hours.  The only way to beat that is to own the restaurant.  If you find a better AYCE deal I would assume the fish is shitty, there was no doubt the quality was here.

Rating: 4.6 out of 5

Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week

Thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week! I love this top. Color blocking is so in style right now; everyone should own at least one color blocked piece. The top is a sheer, light weight material that can be worn all seasons. I paired it with some denim boyfriend distressed shorts and wedges for a girly, casual look that was perfect dinner. The earrings that I am wearing are also from Patty's and the bling is the perfect finishing touch for this outfit. You can find this look at the Rainbow location!





There is so much amazing, exciting news happening relating to Patty's Closet I cannot even contain myself. First of all, for us Vegas people, Sparkle is opening soon right next to the Rainbow location and right next to that, so is Heart and Soul, which will be an all shoe story by Patty's Closet. I know, I am totally dying over this. 

You can like those pages right here: http://www.facebook.com/SparklebyPattysCloset and http://www.facebook.com/HeartSoleByPc

Also, Patty's Closet is opening up in NJ in a little less than two weeks and Briella and Jessica from Glam Fairy and Jerseylicious are hosting the event. Love them. You can get the information right here! 



So, if you haven't already, check out Patty's Closet Facebook page for all the latest information and pictures of the newest items from shipment days (Tuesdays and Fridays) http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV . Also, if you aren't lucky enough to have a Patty's near you yet, don't worry you can shop online at: shop.ilovepattyscloset.com 

Until next time, cheers to making the summer last while you can!!! xoxo


2 comments:

  1. I love Sushi, but have never experienced all you can eat sushi. Realistically it is a great deal and a way to "roll out" new types that you always wanted to try! Everything looks yummy Outfit of the week is one of mt favorite ones yet! So casual, yet smart and styling! This week gets a top-notch rating all around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete