Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Week 50 Firefly Our 1 Year Anniversary Dinner

So a little over a week ago, Brett and I celebrated our one year wedding anniversary. It has been by far not only the busiest, but the best year of our lives. We have been blessed with and accomplished so much. 2012 is the year of the Dragon, or as I like to say, the year of the Dragun, so I think that has something to do with it. ;)


Remember, you can always find our blog on the LV Informer, which is a fabulous Vegas based online newspaper: http://lasvegas.informermg.com/category/lv-local-interest/blog-connection/

Also, if you haven't already, you should definitely like our Facebook page. We update it frequently and love your feedback on there. http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants?bookmark_t=page

What Teray Says...


Anyone that knows Brett and I know is familiar with the fact that Firefly is our favorite restaurant. We have brought so many guests there, had many romantic nights there, and had our rehearsal dinner there, so we figured it would only be appropriate if we went there for our one year for the blog. Well, if you haven't been to Firefly or heard of it, you need to get there now. For anyone that has lived under the rock, Firefly is a tapas place. Tapas means small plates, so it is like getting appetizer portions for each item on the menu. It always makes me giggle when you tell people it is a tapas place and they think you say topless. I am sure my husband would love that, but it is not the case. HAHA.






We went early during Happy Hour so that we could get half off sangria pitchers. It is such a savings! We started with the red sangria (love, love, love). I actually love the white and sparkling too, but haven't had the red in awhile so we went with that. The first two appetizers we ordered were the fried calamari (I picked that because I heard the table next to us order it and my mouth started to water) and the stuffed dates (by far our favorite thing on the menu). The cool thing about the portions is you get enough of each item to keep you full but you can also share it. The calamari is a pretty decent portion size and amazing. The dates you get five; I always let Brett have the extra one. :) 








For the second round of appetizers we just randomly pointed our fingers at stuff and went with it. I think we have had about 3/4 of the things on the menu, and always tend to get most of the same things, so we tried to go for something different with the random pointing. My finger landed on the steak and mushroom skewers and Brett's landed on the shrimp cerviche. The shrimp cerviche was beyond fantastic. It was my first time having it there and it will definitely  be a staple from now on. I love that it was a cold tapa because it was so hot out on the patio. The steak skewers were good, but too heavy for me. The fact that they were heavy does not take away from how good they were. 





After those four tapas I started to get very full, but we always have room for our favorite dessert at Firefly which is the tres leches. Again, I think I love this dessert because the cake is cold. I really like when food is cold. If I could sit and eat that cake all day, I would. 



Overall, everything about Firefly is amazing. The service is always excellent, the atmosphere is one of the best in Vegas and the food is out of this world. Without a doubt I rate Firefly 5 out of 5. Perfection. 

What Brett Says...

This week we travel to a restaurant we know well, why would be review a place that we know so well?  Simple, it is our one year anniversary and we figured celebrating our first year as newlyweds should be brought in the same place it started.  The day before our wedding we had our rehearsal dinner at Firefly on Paradise.  It was the first time both families met, my friends met her friends.  It wasn't some stuffy sit down dinner, it was lively and the sangrias were flowing.  How can you have an amazing time like that and not try and relive a little of it.  Because of this blog and our desire to try all these different places we were kinda railroaded away from our favorite restaurant, it took us 367 days (it was a leap year) to get back.  If you have never been to Firefly, any of them, I would recommend going.  I would recommend the Paradise location for your first experience, just to get the full feel.  They are a Spanish tapas restaurant; a tapas restaurant serves smaller portions which are meant to be shared, generally you order many things for the table.  That isn't Webster's definition but it should be.

The atmosphere is a little old Vegas meets college bar/restaurant.  It is comfortable and lively.  This is the place to go as an outing whether it is two or 20 people, even good for first dates since there is so much around you to talk about.  They have an area where you can eat on couches and they also have an outdoor patio.  They also have a fairly awesome fish tank, something I always enjoy...beings my nickname is Fish.

Teray is going to post all the pictures of the food, I'm not going to tell you what we had on this particular night.  Instead I am going to give yo the basic amazing tapas to try.  First and foremost are the stuffed dates, they have an almond and bleu cheese stuffed into the date and wrapped in bacon.  I stumbled on these during a happy hour trip and have never went back.  The stuffed peppers are also a staple.  While you don't have to order it because it comes automatically I would dig into the bread and butter.  Most places it is boring, here it starts the meal with a kick.  They also have filet sliders, think healthy upclass White Castle sliders.  Teray and I sometimes just point randomly at the menu and order whatever the finger lands on, I honestly cannot think of a single time we have ever been disappointed.  Lastly, you absolutely must end your meal with the tres leche.  This is two small slices of chocolate cake with thick creamy milk poured over it, this cannot be missed.  Without it your experience is not complete.  While those are your recommendations for food I only have one recommendation for drinks...Sangria.  I know I said one but it is actually three; they have white, red, and sparkling sangria.  I personally prefer he red sangria but they are all amazing and will all get you to a good place.  FYI if you go during happy hour the pitchers of sangria are half off...just means you get twice as drunk.  I had several pitchers at the rehearsal dinner prior to my bachelor party and can tell you they set your night up for greatness.  What that greatness is you will have to ask the attendees of my bachelor party because most of the night was lost due to time traveling (blacking out).  All I can tell you is that it included me telling a bachelorette party off for 15min about how they paled in comparison to my bride and dueling piano bars have a limit to how many times you can take your shirt off on stage.

All in all, go to Firefly.  I know it is kinda cheating reviewing a place that had a 5 out of 5 going in but Firefly earned a 5 out of 5 once again.


Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. I love a fun palazzo pant. The colors are perfect for spring. These pants are high-waisted and can be worn with a shirt tucked in or out. It is great to pair it with a basic tank because it lets the bottoms be the focal point of the outfit. The cool, cotton material is light enough that you won't sweat in the warm weather. This look is available at the Rainbow location.



Being it is summer time, it is time to shop. Everyone wants a new summer wardrobe and Patty's Closet is the place to go. You can check out all the new items which come in Tuesdays and Fridays at all locations on their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV  They also now have an online store, so you can get their looks everywhere you live! shop.ilovepattyscloset.com

Until next time, cheers to summer nights and long days in the sun. xo

1 comment:

  1. Firefly..a place I too have been and I agree 100 percent with Teray and Brett. It is a fun-filled atmosphere and delicious food. The thing I think that intrigues me is that one doesn't have to be afraid to try something new and different. Are you someone, like me, who sticks to your old favorite because you know a dinner is coming and you will be guaranteed to like it. Here they are appetizers so if the first isn't your fave, onto the second. Fun for a crowd,too!!! I think it was a lovely idea going back for your anniversary date. Happy 1 year Anniversary!!!!!
    Outfit of the week is so on the mark, love the style . I see it in all the must-haves for this spring and summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Comfy and great looking a winning combo.

    ReplyDelete