Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Week 49 Super Mex Cinco de Mayo

Welcome back! So much has happened since we last posted. I (Teray) took a new position and graduated from UNLV and Brett has started his clinicals. We also celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary yesterday! It has been the best year by far and we have had so many blessings. Anyway, remember you can always check out our blog on the LV Informer http://lasvegas.informermg.com/ . Also, like our Facebook page; we are on it frequently http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants?bookmark_t=page


What Teray Says.... 


 I am writing this from my iPad so it will be shorter than normal because it takes me awhile to type. We decided to go to Super Mex for Cinco de Mayo because it is not too far from our house. Super Mex is a lot bigger than I thought. The place was hopping and all areas were full. We were seated right away and brought chips and salsa, which the chips were amazing by the way. 






We also ordered house margaritas, totaling two each for the night. As for an appetizer we ordered Mexican pizza, which was basically like a pizza with quesadilla toppings all over it. It was amazing, but pretty rich and filling. 








As for our food I ordered tacos and Brett ordered chimmichamgas. I had one steak and one chicken taco. It came with rice and beans and it was double wrapped, which again made it very filling. I only could eat one taco and took one home to eat the next day. I'm glad the portions were big though because it coated my stomach with the strong margarita.








 The atmosphere and service was food and seemed fun. It was perfect for what we were looking for. We also had a coupon for buy one meal and two drinks and get one meal free. We love coupons and aren't ashamed. I really I would give Super Mex 3.5 out of 5. The highlight being the portion size. 






What Brett Says...


I'm not as cool as I use to be, well I am just in a completely different way.  Five years ago on Cinco de Mayo I would be at the bar the minute it opened, having amply pregamed.  I would be at that bar, or several, till they closed and then I would head to the after party.  The day would be filled with nachos, burritos, and salsa.  I would be drinking Coronas and cheap tequila like it was water.  The party would be strong and there would be little room to move.  I would usually end up in a sombrero.  I would do all this while being the man I was..."Fish."  Now I am cool in the mature married adult way.  I still went to a Mexican restaurant, ate sensibly, and had a whopping two margaritas.  I spent the day running errands and only had one woman on my mind, my amazing wife.  People refer to me by my birth name, Brett.  My "party" experience lasted maybe 2 hours, and that includes driving time.  This year for my Cinco de Mayo celebration I went to "Super Mex" with Teray.  It is on Durango at Sunset, it is very unassuming and looks like an off-brand Roberto's.  The assumptions were proven wrong.

Like I said Super-Mex doesn't look like much from the outside, looks small, has a decent patio, not to mention the cheesy name and signage.  But we figured we shoud give it a try and keep it close to home.  I was honestly amazed when we walked in, the place is large and looks authentic.  The bar was pretty crowded...it was a Mexican holiday which gives Americans an excuse to drink.  We decided to grab a booth in the bar area, that way we could feel like we were part of the party...we weren't though.  It was fun making fun of the drunks (the ones that would have been me years ago).  The booth was large and comfortable.  The whole atmosphere just worked.  Our server made sure we were taken care of, nothing overly good but good enough for an honorable mention.  Lately it seems like I am just hoping for the correct order, refills, and the check in a timely matter.  This guy and the rest of the staff made sure our experience wasn't ruined by them.  

Teray and I eat pretty clean throughout the week and on Saturdays we tend to allow ourselves a little leeway.  First we begin with a couple house margaritas, then some more.  The margaritas tasted like margaritas, they weren't watered down and they weren't miniature.  Can't say the bartenders were loose with the tequila but it was in there.  We decided to have a little Mexican appetizer...Mexican pizza.  The pizza consisted of 4 slices of fried tortillas smothered with all that is Mexican toppings.  The pizza was really good, it could work as an entree for some, for us it made the perfect entry way into Cinco de Mayo cuisine.  From the pizza I went into the direction of fried goodness.  I decided to order the two chimichanga entree, I went with one chicken and one beef.  They weren't as good as the chimichangas I use to make at Chi-Chi's back in the day but they were good.  The course itself was extremely filling, with the beans and rice that came with it I couldn't even finish it all...which is sad since it was my cheat meal.  We were so full from everything we didn't even get dessert.

Overall I was impressed, not sure what it is like on a day that isn't dedicated to drinking and eating at a Mexican restaurant.  I would return to get my burrito on again.  4.5 out of 5.



 Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week


Check out my outfit of the week provided by Patty's Closet Fashion Boutique. This high-low dress trend is so in for the spring and summer. It is awesome because you can flaunt your legs in the front, and don't have to worry about it being too short in the back. The vertical stripes slim any figure, and the cinched waist does also. This dress can be worn everywhere, and I love it! You can find this at the Rainbow location. Make sure to check out Patty's Closet Facebook http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV?ref=ts page for all of their newest items and their online store at shop.ilovepattyscloset.com


Until next time, cheers to new chapters and new years plus taking the time for what is the most important in life, love and family. xo

1 comment:

  1. Chinco de Mayo, the 5th of May, is a day that I truly can say I have never gone out to celebrate although it seems to be quite a festive event for many. Food looks good and what a deal that coupon was! Outfit of the week is sooooooo adorable, fits the occasion. I love how it is longer in the back and shorter in the front! Definite winner, ole!

    ReplyDelete