Sunday, April 8, 2012

Week 44 The Crackle Barrel- St. George Utah (A Vegas Road Trip)

Hi guys! This past week-end we headed to St. George Utah for a little road trip. Brett and I decided it would be appropriate for us to do our blog review there being many people in Vegas head to Utah for road trips all the time. 


Greetings from Mt. Zion


Remember, you can find our blog on the LV Informer under the Local Interest section...pretty friggin awesome :) http://lasvegas.informermg.com/ I know we say this all the time but it is so awesome to get messages, comments, emails, and actual conversations about the blog and suggestions. We really can't believe how many people a week read it and log onto our Facebook. It just is great! We are having so much fun with this and are happy you are too! http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

What Teray Says...


I never knew what the Crackle Barrel was until I moved here (even though there is not one in Vegas). I have heard many people talk about it as a stop in Utah and that it had a store attached, so of course I was going to want to go there. Brett said that Crackle Barrel is where he had his first meal before he left Michigan. I think it brought back sentimental memories to him (or maybe not...lol). 




Crackle Barrel is this old fashioned restaurant with a big porch on the front that has wood rocking chairs for sale. When you enter through the front, it is a store full of goodies, toys, trinkets, and decor. I loved a lot of things, but I am trying to get ready for swim suit season, so I had to ignore all the snacks that were screaming "buy me!" 






We were seated right away and the staff was very friendly. I was not super hungry so I decided I would order something small. Brett went for a traditional Crackle Barrel meal from what I heard...because he was talking with his friends about it and they all seemed to agree in the greatness factor of it. 







I decided to order a fried chicken salad. The salad consisted of lettuce, onions, croutons, fried chicken, cheese and hard boiled eggs. The portion was very big and the chicken was extremely crispy. I wish there was a little more variety of veggies in a salad, but because I wasn't super hungry...I didn't study the menu too much. I should have went all out even if I felt sick after and ordered traditional Crackle Barrel food because Brett's looked way better than mine. 






Brett on the other hand ordered chicken dumplings with 3 sides: macaroni and cheese, fried apples and corn muffins. OMG, I only tasted his but it was like food dream. I know that stuff is so bad for you, but it was mouth watering. I swear if I could eat all day everyday without gaining a pound, it would consume my life. LOL. I think I am a big person trapped inside a small person's body.  I am sure he will elaborate more on his meal. 






Overall, I rate Crackle Barrel a 3 out of 5. I compared it to a Perkins which I am used to back home in Jersey. I think if I ever go back there I will go all out and order typical country style food and if I did that it would be a way higher rating. The atmosphere was very cute and such a great treat to be away from typical Vegas hoopla. 


What Brett Says...


This week we did a couple things different.  The first is going to a restaurant that I have been to (in Michigan), but Teray had never been.  The second we went outside of the Valley but somewhere many Las Vegans go to.  We went to the "Cracker Barrel" in St. George, UT on our way back from Zion.  Taking a second to not talk about restaurants; if you have never been to Zion I highly recommend it.  It is only 3 hours north of Vegas but it blows Red Rock and Mt. Charleston out of the water.  We spent the day driving around and hiking...even some mid hike picnic action.  Zion is the perfect desert meets forrest, the mountains are amazing and it is very hikable.  Now back to the whole restaurant thing.  If any of you have ever been to a Cracker Barrel then you know no one should be without some CB in their lives.  This review will just tell you whether or not you should go to the one in St. George.  





If you have never been to Crack Barrel then you should know they are all the same when it comes to layout.  The outside has a large porch like a southern house, on the porch they have a bunch of rocking chairs that are for sale but you can sit on them.  When you walk in you enter a full out country store; they have everything from candy, to home decor, to toys.  The prices are pretty reasonable and the things I have bought in the past are quality.  The restaurant is off to the side and it is the country version of an Applebees.  There is stuff all over the walls, there is also a large fireplace in all the ones I have been in.  One of my favorite parts of Cracker Barrel is the game they have at the table.  I'm not sure what it's called but it is a brain teaser, you have a wood triangle with holes drilled in it (13 if I remember correctly).  There are 12 golf tees, you have to jump the golf tees and try to only have one left.  The best I did on this occasion was 2, which is awesome but not good enough.  The service was on par; our waitress took our order quick and got our food out quick.  She made sure we had everything we need, never had to wait for water. In true southern style she was friendly and made us feel welcome.

As for the food.  Most of my friends from the south agree that Cracker Barrel is legit, I tend to agree.  I personally ordered the Chicken and Dumplings; I had mac & cheese, fried apples, and corn muffins.  This meal is not for the kinda hungry, more for the "I spent the whole day hiking and I need to replenish everything I have in me" hungry.  I actually told a friend of mine from Missouri, a former NCAA lineman, that I had the chicken and dumplings.  His response was that they are the best next to his grandma's; This is about the perfect way to describe them.  No one can beat grandma's cooking, so to be second to a grandma is awesome.  This meal is the way to go, I'm just glad for my waistline that it is hours away.  Whats even more amazing is the fact that you get this giant portion of amazing food and it was like $9.  I'm not entirely sure I could cook this meal at home for much less.  Imagine getting a huge southern meal after you drained yourself for less then 10 bucks.  I wish more restaurants would have the quality and pricing plan of Cracker Barrel.

I am a fan.  The Cracker Barrel in St. George stands up.  Do yourself a favor and go to Zion then go to Cracker Barrel and eat the calories you burned.  Easily a 5/5.



Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. I LOVE this top! This top combines everything that is current at the moment: light fabrics, the vintage lace look, and a flowy fit that can be cinched at the waist for an hour-glass figure. I love this top because it can be worn dressy or casual. It zippers in the front too for a more conservative look for work. The top is available at the Rainbow location :)



Good news fashion lovers! Not only now does Patty's have many locations around Nevada and two fabulous Sparkle locations they now are online!!! How awesome is that?! It is great for me because people always reach out to me that don't live in Vegas and ask me if they can get those same clothes, and now they can!!! The following are websites that you should be liking!

http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV--- the Patty's Closet Facebook page; here you can find all the newest outfits at each location. Shipments are Tuesdays and Fridays.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sparkle-by-Pattys-Closet/160713480701946 The Sparkle by Patty's Closet Facebook page-- they also post the new accessories from the stores each week.

http://shop.ilovepattyscloset.com/ -- The Patty's Closet Online Store

Speaking of the online store, this coming week my outfit of the week is provided by the online store, so stay tuned for that.

Until next time, cheers to Easter, Passover, or whatever you celebrate! <3

1 comment:

  1. Crackle Barrel sounds like a little place called Country Store we have in our neck of the woods,which also has that real hometown feel. I like the welcoming feeling of the rockers on the porch you described and the hodgepodge of things it sounds like you can buy. Trip definitely worth the 3 hours, great scenery and great food. Day trips are fun and this place sure would be affordable to take a family. Outfit of week very feminine and pretty! Thanks for the review, always look forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete