Friday, December 30, 2011

Week 30 Sumo Sushi II

Happy Holidays! We hope you all have had a wonderful holiday break so far. We can't believe tomorrow is NYE! 2011 has been the best year yet by far for us but we are so stoked to see what 2012 will bring because we have a feeling it will be even better! We have some exciting news with the blog in the next week or so, so stay tuned...we can reveal it soon! In the meantime, check out our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

What Teray Says...


During this week's date night (we had two but they are going to be two separate posts), my mom was here visiting for the holidays so she joined us on our adventure. It is a little weird to go out with people sometimes and take pictures of all the food you are ordering, but she has known about this process since week 1 so I didn't feel as strange. 


We decided on Sumo Sushi because it is located not too far from our new house, but also because we ate heavy Italian meals Christmas Eve and Christmas day so we wanted something light. Sushi is the perfect light meal.







Sumo Sushi has a really nice environment. I especially loved the huge fish tank. We were seated right away and chose a table rather than the sushi bar and were seated in our own private corner in the back of the restaurant; I didn't mind that because I like to hear the people I am with talk and not be too crowded.




Sumo Sushi has our favorite, all you can eat, but like we said we wanted to eat light. I also noticed after the fact that they are on restaurant.com (so if you are going there, print out the coupon first). We decided that we all would just drink water and my mom ordered some green tea. We wrote down on our sheet two miso soups and edamame in addition to our rolls. 


The soup was brought out right away. Let me tell you, it was delicious! Perfect for a cold night. I asked the waiter purposely if I forgot to write down edamame and he said no. I wondered what was taking so long. 



As for our rolls, my mom always orders the same thing; 1 California roll. I ordered a spicy tuna roll and a salmon roll. Brett ordered the specialty rolls of Rainbow roll and Spider roll. I normally like to order the crazy ones, but again like I keep mentioning, I wanted to eat light. 



I have to say my rolls were the freshest fish that I have ever had sushi wise in Vegas. My mom said the same thing about her California roll. The salmon, tuna, and crab tasted so delicious, like they were just caught out of the ocean. :) Brett's looked really good too, but I will let him elaborate on what he ordered. 


Okay, as for the service, we never ended up getting our edamame so we asked if they could take it off the bill. Our waiter came over and looked at us like we ate it and were making it up the way he was examining the table. Someone else came over and apologized for the service because a lot of people had called off. I can understand it being crazy during holiday, so I am cutting them some slack, because I definitely would like to go back there again. Like I mentioned before it was some of the freshest sushi I had in Vegas. Overall, I enjoyed Sumo Sushi and am rating them 4 out of 5. Brett is a stickler for service, so I am curious to see what he says. 


What Brett Says... (he wanted to do it in letter format)


To Whom it may Concern:

I am writing to you today to let you know about a recent experience I had at "Sumo Sushi 2."  It was my wife, mother-in-law and myself; we chose to check it out on a Monday night.  Having never been there we were excited, you see my wife and I write a review...it's actually close to our new home.  When we got there the parking lot was full so we went in thinking we were in for a great experience.  Once we were through the door we were sat immediately, we ended up getting sat in this back corner that completely secluded us from the rest of the restaurant.  The decor was pretty cool though, not that we got to see most of it.

I would usually comment on service and whether it was good or not, the only problem this time is that there was no service.  We filled out the sushi sheet that many sushi places have.  We selected 5 rolls, 2 bowls of soup, and some edamame.  We attempted to order some tea but that took a couple tries.  Usually when we get sushi the edamame is the first thing out followed by soup and then the rolls.  After we got the soup we were expecting the edamame, when the first two rolls arrived instead we asked who I believe was the manager about our edamame, he said it was on the way.  After getting everything else and still not getting our edamame

Beings sushi is one of my favorite foods I need to make mention of the actual food.  As I said earlier we ordered 5 rolls, some Miso soup, and edamame; we already mentioned the issue with the edamame.  I personally ordered my two staple rolls: spider roll and rainbow roll.  They were two of the freshest rolls I have ever had; even the non-fish portions of the roll seemed fresh.  I am kinda jealous that I can't find avocado that fresh for myself.  They were a little pricey compared to other sushi restaurants but the taste made it worth it.  I also sampled the other rolls and I can confirm they were just as good.  As for the miso soup; it was good as well, but there wasn't enough non-broth portion.  It just seemed a little skimpy.  

This is what is so frustrating; great amazing food and non-existent service.  I think by the end of this year of reviews I will have a list of the greatest places to order carry out from.  The only problem is that they are over priced for carry out.  I know Teray will want to go back here but I might try to persuade her to go elsewhere...maybe Oyshi Sushi which is 2 miles away, cheaper, and just as good.  If the food wasn't part of the rating then they would get a 1...I did get water, a chair to sit in, and chopsticks.  But the food was easily worth a 5.  So we are at a 3; throw in the pricing, seclusion, and the manager not believing us and we get down to the final rating:

Sumo Sushi 2 rating - 2.2 of 5

Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week


Thank you to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with this outfit of the week this week. Patty actually picked it out; she has the best taste of anyone I know! This outfit of the week provided by Patty's Closet Fashion Boutique is such a fantastic dress. It can be worn for fun or to work. It is short in the front and longer in the back, but not too short; more like the perfect length. The purple and black is a great color combination that can be worn for winter. The skinny black belt comes with it. The earrings are a gunmetal grey(thank you Patty!!) and are super long, perfect for us girls with long hair. This whole look is available at the Rainbow location.


I'm sure all of you fashion lovers in Vegas have money to spend or Patty's Closet gift cards, so you need to check out one of their fabulous 6 stores here and do some after holiday shopping! You can find the locations at: ilovepattyscloset.com Also, if you like them on Facebook, you can check out their new shipments in each store on Tuesdays and Fridays! http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV

Until next time, cheers to 2012 and a year of endless possibilities! 

2 comments:

  1. I see that you don't always mention the price, which would be helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestion, that is a great point. We will be sure mention it in the future!

    ReplyDelete