Saturday, December 24, 2011

Week 29 The Underworld Grill and Bar

Happy Holidays everyone! Thanks for checking out our blog again this week. If you haven't already take a second and like our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants. We have some pretty exciting news to share starting in January about where our blog is going to be shared, so keep checking back. :)


What Teray Says...


This week it was my turn to choose where we were going. Brett always comes up with crazy ideas or places out of the norm, so I figured it was my turn to do that. I went on restaurant.com because they were having a $1 gift card sale. After looking through the pictures and places I decided on this place called The Underworld Grill and Bar. First of all, I don't know what made me choose this place. I hate horror movies, haunted houses, and I get scared at the drop of a hat, but I wanted to impress Brett with my choice of something different so I just went with it. 




When entering the restaurant, I was so scared, I wanted Brett to walk in first. I think he thought I was absolutely crazy. I crept slowly behind him, hoping nothing would pop out to scare me. The place was almost empty, which was good because I wasn't blind sided by people and then being scared, I could see everything going on. 




The restaurant is broken up into different sections. There's the eating area, a stage, the bar, a VIP lounge which is called hell (red lighting). It has Wii, couches, tables, etc. There is also a heaven area with pool tables for people that are younger that 21- but at 9 pm it is 21 and older. All around are scary characters and statues hanging from the ceiling. The restaurant is also basically dark. Horror movies play in the background. I made sure I wasn't facing a tv. 






As for the food, Brett and I started with an appetizer of fried mushrooms. You got a pretty good size portion and they were quite tasty. He ordered a southwest boogie man burger and I ordered a pizza. The pizza was huge and can definitely be shared. It is cut into little squares. We had a meal for a few days after that. The pizza was bar pizza, which I happen to really like, so I was pleased. I can't speak for Brett's burger, because I didn't try it. 




Overall, I don't know what I would rate this place. It does have a creative concept, which I don't know how long it will stay open, but it was just too scary for me. I felt like I couldn't enjoy my food because I was too focused on if something was going to pop out at me while eating. I give The Underworld Grill and Bar 2.5 out of 5.


What Brett Says...


So lets say you are really into Halloween.  What if you are really into horror/slasher movies?  What if you feel like going to a dark bar and grill?  If this is somewhere along the lines of what you are looking for then we went to your place this week.  Teray chose to take us to the "Underworld Bar and Grill."  I had never heard of it or seen it; I drive by the intersection (Spring Mt. and Valley View) all the time and it never caught my eye.  I don't really get into the dark world and slasher movies aren't my go to, I will watch them when I am bored...sometimes you can't beat cheesy horror movies.

I didn't look online before we went so I had no idea what we were getting into.  You start getting a feel for the place as you pull into the parking lot, the sign for the bar is a tombstone grey sign with "Underworld" across it.  Walking through the door you get ready for someone to jump out at you with a chainsaw and maybe stick your hands into a bowl of brains.  As you look around you see various props from Halloween stores and haunted houses, you notice random flat screens playing a cheesy slasher movies, and you notice the lights are dimmed to an appropriate underworld level.  The bar was empty except for the three people at the bar and the two employees; this is even for overwhelming because the place is huge.  There are two "VIP" rooms, a patio, a large bar area, a dining room, and a decent sized stage.  I could see it being much bigger if you had the right band playing...something along the lines of Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, or the like  The venue is a good idea, I'm just not sure it has been pulled off yet.  I give them a little slack because they just got there alcohol license and they have only been open for a few months.  Maybe with time it will become all that they want it to become.

Continuing on with our little adventure we or course had to eat.  The menu was pretty limited, everything had a name that went along with the theme.  Teray said the menu in person was not the same she saw online.  Pretty much everything was standard bar food; we started with some fried mushrooms.  They are good, however I had two issues with them.  1. They were pre made frozen mushrooms (probably Gordon Foods) and 2.  They are overpriced for the size and quantity.  But like I said they were good.  I had a southwest burger and Teray

I think I would go back if I knew they had grown.  This is the kind of place that needs to have bodies in it to be enjoyable.  I would also like to see them expand their menu, maybe make the food/drink prices more on par with the normal Vegas local bar.  As of right now I can't really recommend them for more then takeout.  It does look like it would be a cool place to see a band perform; whether I like the kind of bands they bring in is yet to be determined.  If I do go back I think I would shoot for Halloween night just to see what all they would do.  

Rating 2.5 out of 5



Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week


I hope all of you have been doing a lot of Christmas shopping at one of the 7 Patty's Closet locations. I just can't get enough of that store. Obsessed. Anyway, of course thank you to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this which I love by the way, because it was not the typical way that I normally dress. :)






This outfit of the week provided by Patty's Closet Fashion Boutique is the perfect look for the holiday season. It combines my favorite things for holiday time, sequins and metallic. The top is meant to be loose fitting, and love that it says "love" and has the sequined heart. The leggings are silver and black, and although they are patterned can be worn with a lot. I am not a fan of wearing leggings as pants unless I am at the gym, so I paired it with a tank dress, to give it the skirt and shirt effect. This whole look is available at the Rainbow location! 


Like I mentioned above, you need to hit up Patty's Closet to finish up your last minute shopping. Plus I am sure all of you fashion lovers out there want something to wear for holiday get togethers and NYE! To find the location nearest you (or to hit up them all like I like to do) check out their website: ilovepattyscloset.com  and like their Facebook page to see all of the new shipments Tuesdays and Fridays. Each store has different items!! http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV


My mom will most likely be joining us on our blog outing this week, so I am hoping she will be a guest contributor. In the meantime, cheer to a safe and happy holiday. Count your blessings; I am beyond thankful for ours. xoxo

1 comment:

  1. The name Underworld does seem to fit the "gothic halloween decor",but a bit unnerving wondering if something might be interactive and jump out to say Boo! I can see it as venue for a certain style band.Pizza looks good. Not a place I will try, but the blog is testing the waters for all of us :) The outfit of the week is adorable as always and I personally have visited the many Patty's Closets in search of the perfect holiday presents and was very successful. One thing ladies it's hard not to look for yourself when you are trying to buy gifts because everything is so cute.. shoes, bags, clothes, jewelry lol
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete