Monday, December 5, 2011

Week 27 Coconuts

Hola friends! Welcome back; thanks again for checking out our latest review. We still find it so awesome that you guys Tweet us, Facebook us, and email us of suggestions where to go, so please keep your ideas and comments coming. If you haven't already take a minute and like our Facebook page. We check it daily! http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

What Teray Says...
This week we had the pleasure of going to Coconuts Beach Bar and Mexican Grill. It is a new restaurant that opened in Town Square where Lolita's used to be. Brett found a Groupon about a week and a half ago, which consisted of two specialty drinks, one appetizer, two meals, and one dessert for $35. Talk about a steal!


When  you walk into Coconuts you know off the bat it is going to be a fun place. It is decorated in a beachy theme, and is actually a really big place. I didn't realize how big this place actually was. There are high rise tables by the bar, a dance floor in the middle, and then booths which are set up around the dance floor, like you are VIP style. There is also another area of tables and booths farther back. There is also a big bus in the middle which is the dj station, and beer pong on college nights in the back. It is just a fun vibe all around.


We were greeted and seated right away by the friendly staff. We started off with some drinks, there are so many choices. I feel like I may go there one day and just try about 3 or 4 of them and need a cab ride home, but this was not my goal for the evening. ;) Brett decided to order a coconut mojito and I ordered a bloody maria (which we all know bloody mary is my favorite- this is just the same with tequila, so it is actually wayyy better). My mouth is actually watering for it as I type this. I took one sip of Brett's and it was delightful; if I wasn't afraid of mixing sweet and spicy, I would have had that too, but we will be back again soon, so I can order it then.


coconut mojito and bloody maria
The service here is spot on. Our waitress was extremely on top of everything and we never felt like we were waiting or wondering where she was. (If you read our reviews weekly, you know that good service is not something we get a lot of). For our appetizer we decided to order guacamole. The chips were the best chips I have ever had, that we even refilled our bowl and ate more. The guacamole is very fresh and it comes with three types of salsa; I wanted to eat more, but I didn't want to be too full for my meal. Again, best guacamole hands down that I have ever had. 




For our meal I ordered the shrimp fajitas and Brett ordered marinated skirt steak. I can speak for my fajitas and just say, "wow." It came with nice big pieces of shrimp, which I gave Brett some, rice, beans, 3 wraps, and grilled veggies. The cool thing is that you get to pick your sides, so I picked spanish rice and pinto beans. I wanted to stay with the theme. I was able to eat two fajitas and then got full, so like every week, I took the rest home and Brett ate it for lunch the next day. Brett will talk more about his skirt steak, but I took a bite and it was so tender. Pretty awesome if you ask me. 


shrimp fajitas

skirt steak



Next, we got to choose a dessert. We went with our waitress's suggestion of the coconut cheese cake. Well, while in the mix of things, we were told that we got a free dessert because I had tweeted Coconuts earlier in the day! How awesome is that?! For our second dessert we picked the fire and ice which is Habanero caramel served over vanilla ice cream. We chose this because the waitress said that no one has ever ordered it. Brett said that she had to try it at the table. LOL. Well, because I am blonde, and sheltered, and live under a rock, and many other reasons... I did not know what habanero was. I thought it was just some fancy spanish word for caramel. Little did I know it is a spicy pepper! The first bite kind of tingles your whole mouth, but second bite it, it is awesomely delicious. Both dessert were fantastic. 

coconut cheesecake

fire and ice



Overall, my experience at Coconuts was fabulous, not only was the food some of the best Mexican food I have had in Vegas, the drinks were a-mazing, and the atmosphere was fun! The service was like a said before top notch. You know the service is good at a place when you have servers from other tables checking on your table. Everyone was very pleasant and so friendly. I am definitely planning our next adventure back and rate Coconuts 5 out of 5. You must go there!!!! Plus if you tweet them and like them on Facebook- they have specials: http://www.facebook.com/coconutsbeachbarmexicangrill

What Brett Says...


This week we went where Groupon took us again, "Coconuts" is in Town Square on the second floor across from Rave.  A couple weeks ago Groupon had a deal; $35 for an appetizer, 2 specialty drinks, 2 entrees, and a dessert.  Even if the food was terrible it still would have been a good deal.  Lucky for us things worked out better.

We figured we should get to Coconuts soon considering it is in a spot that seems to be a business killer.  I think they are the third or fourth business in that spot in less then four years.  Teray had heard about them and was excited to go, I on the other hand am so far out of the loop since I left the industry that I didn't even know it was there as I was walking through the door.  But that's no surprise since Teray knows about everything before it becomes something.  The inside is kinda what you would expect from the frat house in the movie Animal House if they had gone to school in California...allow me to expand.  There is a VW bus as a DJ booth, tons of colors everywhere, a dance floor, alcohol, and girls in bikinis.  Ladies, I know you are thinking how degrading it must be to work where bikinis are the uniform let alone eat there, well they class it up a bit with white tank tops and jean shorts.  For the guys, don't worry the tank tops are tiny and low cut and the jean shorts are tiny and high cut.  But I was with my beautiful wife so I didn't notice any of that, I actually heard about it from a guy who notices that kind of stuff.  Aside from the waitress' the place is pretty cool, you definitely get the whole beach vibe.  They have video streaming from past nights and from what I could tell they have a pretty lively nightlife.  The manager was telling us that they do college night and work with a couple fraternities.  Considering Cadillac Ranch is no longer I think they are getting some business from them, except it is college kids instead of well you know...trash.  Not to mention every once in a while we need to act like we are in college for a night so we can regret it for three days.  

The service was good, December has already brought us luck in this department.  They weren't that busy so I can't speak to what it would be like at other times.  We were greeted at the door by multiple employees and sat immediately.  Our waitress was friendly, and they do that whole "Joe's Crabshack" thing where they grab a chair and sit with you when they take your order.  She was on top of things, which we haven't had lately.  Everything we ordered came out quick, she had suggestions when we needed them, and we didn't have to ask to order.  One thing that really stood out when we were there was that other waitress' took care of us too; if someone saw that we had empty plates or needed refills it just happened, we didn't have to wait till our waitress came by.  We had a manager and who I think was the owner come by, it was nice being acknowledged and thanked for coming in.  They weren't that busy and they are new, that is exactly what should be happening with management.  From my personal experience working everywhere I have customers seem to do better and come out happier when someone stops by and thanks them for coming in that isn't getting the tip.  We also ordered a dessert that our waitress said she had never had, we told her she would have to try it if we ordered...she did.  Everyone we encountered was fun and laid back, they (the staff and restaurant) aren't trying to be what they aren't.  How many times have you been somewhere that reminds you of a guy wearing a tux at a BBQ?  They know what they are shooting for, stick to it, and accomplish it.

Of course I have to touch on the food, beings it is a restaurant review and all.  Like I said earlier we went with the prix fixe Groupon, so we got a ton of food and it was cheap.  Looking at the menu it didn't look like it would be all that much without a Groupon...we plan on going back without the Groupon.  We ordered the guacamole as an appetizer; you get a basket of tortilla chips, 3 salsas, and a huge bowl of guac.  We had so much guac that we had to order a second basket of chips.  We also got to order some specialty drinks, I went with a coconut mojito and Teray went with a bloody mary margarita (Bloody Maria).  Both drinks were good, mine specifically was amazing, it was the kind of drink you want to wake up to and keep drinking all day.  Who knows I may just do it someday, just hope you aren't the one I call to come drive me home.  For our entrees I ordered the skirt steak and Teray ordered shrimp fajitas.  Since I ate all of mine and half of hers I can attest to both that they were also amazing.  You get a huge plate of food; they don't skimp on anything...you get meat (whatever you choose), two sides, and tortillas.  If you are someone that doesn't go for overindulgence there is easily enough for a meal and a take home snack.  We also got a dessert as part of our deal, we went with coconut cheesecake.  Yeah you guessed it...amazing.  It was more like a coconut cheesecake mousse, Teray even asked if she could have a big one for her birthday cake.  Then the manager surprised us and said that since Teray tweeted about them (still no way I will ever have a Twitter) we got a free dessert.  So for dessert #2 we went with Habenero caramel ice cream, this was the one we made our waitress try.  It is definitely something you have to take more then one bite of, the first bite hits you and by the third you are wanting more.  I'm not a fan of spicy but for some reason this works.  It isn't something I would get everytime but for a first time or just to give it a shot you won't be disappointed. 

So to sum things up...it was amazing, we will go back, and it kinda makes me miss my frat boy days.  

5 out 5


Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Hi fashion lovers! I hope your are all enjoying the transition into winter clothes and Christmas shopping away (especially at one of the 6 Patty's Closet stores here in Vegas). Anyway, of course thank you to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. When I was searching for what to find, I wanted some color, because in the winter I tend to stick to the blacks, browns, and greys. The blue was a perfect way to change it up. Patty also helped me pick out the fabulous accessories to this outfit (the necklace and legging tights). She has the perfect eye to make any outfit complete!

This outfit of the week provided by Patty's Closet Fashion Boutique is one of my favorite looks, the mini dress. I love a mini dress because in the summer you can wear it with bare legs and in the fall you can make it so cool with leggings or tights. Never too much exposed :) The blue is such a rich color and the sleeves flare out at the end. The tights are a thick material that are like leggings and are footless. The neckalce is a gun metal and silver statement piece. This whole look is available at the Rainbow location. Love it!

Like I mentioned above, you need to check out the Patty's Closet nearest you! You can find all of the locations listed on their website (all 6 of them!) at ilovepattyscloset.com

Also, if you like their Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV you can check out their shipments every Tuesdays and Fridays. Every store has different stuff so it is worth hitting up different ones! With Xmas and my birthday coming up, I think I have hinted to everyone that Patty's Closet gift cards are the perfect gift for me! They are for your friends too!!


Until next time, hope everyone is having a great December! Cheers to holidays, family, the Christmas countdown, and cheer all around!

2 comments:

  1. Well, Week number 27 seems to have been a big hit all around. Fabulous, food, fun, friendly staff and fits the budget, especially this time of year. Love the decor and I hope this place makes it, so I can try it! Perhaps after a long day of holiday shopping when you don't feel like cooking,this would be an ideal spot. Outfit is a beautiful color, again another hit. Have to check out Patty's Closet for some gifts :)

    Until next week. Happy Blogging...and the beat goes on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it looks as though this week was a huge hit, 5 out of 5 from both of you! Sounds like a great spot. I agree with the above blogger comment, a great idea to go there after being tired from shopping and not feeling like cooking, but better yet tired from shopping at Patty's Closet. ...on that note, I love the color of your outfit of the week and the look! Only problem I see coming is how many gifts that I buy at Patty's will actually make it out of my house hmmmm...lol

    As always, thanks for blogging looking forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete