Friday, November 18, 2011

Week 24 OPA!!

Hey Everyone! Can you believe we are on week 24 already?! This has been such an amazingly, fun experience for Brett and I. It actually makes the work week go by quicker for me at least because I know that I have something to look forward to every week-end. :) We love hearing your feedback and suggestions so keep them coming! It is hard to sometimes come up with different restaurants (especially for me) so I welcome suggestions with open arms. 

I love that we are getting more likes on our Facebook page. If you haven't liked it already please click the link and even  better share it with your friends! http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

What Teray Says...
This week I took the suggestion of one of my favorite gals Alana Castillo, owner of Vanity Flair hair salon http://www.facebook.com/vanityflair She had told me about OPA a few times and when I went back to get my lash dip from Stacey at Vanity Flair last week, she suggested it to me again (more on the lash dip later). 




OPA is a Greek restaurant on Rainbow and Sahara. When I see Greek, it is definitely authentic Greek. Inside the decor reminded was very themed and the wait staff all were Greek. Brett and I started with ordering hummus, which is one of my favorite things ever. The hummus came with pita bread that was to die for. Back onto the hummus, this had to be the most fresh hummus I have ever eaten in my life. I told Brett that I actually wanted to sit there with a spoon and eat it like yogurt, but the party in front of us kept looking at me for some reason (probably because I was eating the hummus like I was going to the electric chair), so I felt stupid. LOL. If that table was empty, I would have soooo done it! 




We were then given a Greek salad, which again, was fabulous and everything was so fresh. The feta cheese was making my mouth water! 



For our entrees, I ordered the gyros plate which was slices of lamb and it came with veggies and oven roasted potatoes. First, let me tell you about the potatoes...these potatoes must be cooked in some type of juice of deliciousness because they were so flavorful that they were melting in my mouth! As for the lamb, veggies, and pita, the portion was huge!! So like I do every single week, I ate half and brought the second half home and ate it for lunch the next day. The lamb was tender and cut very thin, perfectly cooked!





Brett ordered the dolmades, which was grape leaves stuffed with meat, rice, and herbs. I only took one grape leaf, but holy crow, best I have ever had. I don't think I have ever had a warm grape leaf either only cold ones, so it was even better yet.

For dessert, we ordered two things; I made sure this week to save some room! We got the baklava, which I could have ate for days, it had the perfect mix of honey and nuts, and risogala which is the rice pudding. I think for my  birthday this year I might put a candle in some of their baklava. HAHA.




If you go to the website http://www.opalasvegas.com/index.html there is a 15% off coupon. With the coupon our meal didn't even come to 40 bucks. What a steal for all of this food. I would absolutely go to OPA again very soon and order all different things, in addition to the hummus ;) I would definitely give OPA a 4.5 out of 5. It is not the most fancy place, but it would be really fun to go with a group and it is definitely fun on a date!


What Brett says...


"OPA!"  I just want to start my review saying the one thing I completely expected to hear but never did.  The few times I have been to Greek restaurants in the past I always hear it getting called out.  This week Teray picked "Opa" @Sahara and Rainbow.  She was told we had to go by a handful of people, since we write the reviews for all of you we like to take your suggestions when we are given them...so feel free to let us know where we need to go.

From the outside you get the feeling that you are about to go into an old school mom and pop Greek place, the feeling continues as you walk in.  Personally, I like going into restaurants that look like they are old school.  I was told that the building it is in has had tons of restaurants go through it over the years, so maybe that's why it looks old school.  When we walked in we were immediately met by the host, they led us to our table.  As you walk to your table you notice how old school it is, I would put pretty much everything circa 1979.  Once again...this is not a bad thing.  We sat in a half circle booth with a view of the entire room, if there had been live music we would have had a clear view of the stage.  We also were sitting directly behind a family party of about 10 people, it reminded me of the holiday get togethers I had growing up in my grandma's basement.  You could tell they were all having a good time.


Time for the food talk.  I am generally expecting to see someone lighting a fire at a table while yelling "OPA."  Like I said, this did not happen.  We started with the hummus that they are apparently known for.  It comes with some amazing hot pita bread, the hummus itself was good.  Teray and I eat hummus weekly and this was some quality chick peas, we are just too lazy to heat up pita and make it legit.  I ordered the grape leaves entree and Teray order the gyro plate.  The meals came with a large Greek salad, tasted like a Greek salad.  Each meal came with potatoes and vegetables, they were actually hot and good.  I am really getting tired of cold vegetables at restaurants, they nailed this simple task.  As for the main course, both of ours was amazing.  I would order takeout from here anytime, the servings were generous and it all tasted homemade.  There was nothing that felt processed...I think the old Greek woman was in back doing it up right.  For dessert we went all out and ordered rice pudding and baklava...both worth ordering.  

I'll start by saying that everything we ordered (and got a ton) only came up to $37, I see why the family chose here to go.  As for cliff notes: old school feel, no one yelled "OPA," service had a Red Army feel, the food was plentiful and amazing.  Worth going to, worth getting take out from, just don't expect glitz and glamour.

3.5 out of 5

Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
So before I talk about my outfit of the week, let me talk about something else fabulous....the newest Patty's Closet in Town Square. Saturday was the grand opening and the store is absolutely stunning! Everyone I know that went, including myself, bought some awesome clothes and accessories. I will definitely be frequenting that location very often. If you haven't gone yet, you must check it out. It is next to the Body Shop (which is next to Sanrio) across from Chico's. 

Okay, on to my outfit of the week. Of course thank you to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. This top is available at the Blue Diamond location. I love that it can be worn out with jeans like I did or it is work appropriate as well with either dress paints or a pencil skirt. The sheer material is meant to wear a shirt underneath, and the opening in the back makes it way more chic than your typical button down shirt. The boots are from the St. Rose Patty's!

I went to the Rainbow location today and got my outfit of the week for this week-end. I love mixing dress up with fun, funky accessories to make an outfit my own, so I can't wait for you guys to see it!! :) Check out Patty's Closet online ilovepattyscloset.com and check out their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV

Okay, so I said that I would talk more about this lash dip as I did above. My girl http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stacey-Kerby-Torres-Licensed-Esthetician/103874946333161 at Vanity Flair hooked me up with some lash dip last week. Lash Dip is a semi permanent mascara that stays on your lashes for about a month. Can I just say how awesome it is to wake up and look like you have make up on when you don't? Rolling out of bed, I looked wide awake. My lashes were perfectly dark and curled. 

See, no mascara needed! Lash dip stays on and you wake up looking like that!
Until next time, cheers to giving thanks and spending time with the ones you love. 




3 comments:

  1. Wow, a ton of great things to digest (No pun intended). First the food looks amazing, fan of hummus and GREEK Salad is probably the only two Greek foods I have ever tasted, so I might have to venture out and try some more. OPA :) Your outfit is darling..so chic!!!!! Great feminine top, and great boots! And the bonus this week ..lashes . do you mean we can wake up in the morning and not scare folks...hahah..Certainly something to entertain.

    Thanks again for all the great suggestions each week...and I will part with one last word........OPA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teray and wholly agree Opa is incredible! Chicken skewers being my fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a good place for Greek food. Love the shirt and boots from Patty's :) Looking Good.

    I saw a new place to go it is a Japanese/Sushi/Habachi Place called Ohjah off Blue Diamond on Decatur. Sounds good (habachi like back home).

    ReplyDelete