Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Week 76 Rise and Shine, A Steak and Egg Place

Welcome back readers!!! So great news, Brett is back for this blog. While it has been so fun having guest bloggers, I am happy to have my best friend and partner in crime back with me on this food journey. Can you believe it is only a month until Christmas? We are getting so excited because it is our first Christmas that we are hosting and it is going to be a big one. Christmas is my favorite time of year so for the next month, I will be in an even better mood than I normally am. If you know me, you know this will be way high on the ecstatic meter because I love life. 

Remember, you can always find our blog on the LV Informer under the Local Interest section http://lasvegas.informermg.com/category/lv-local-interest/blog-connection/. We also have a Facebook page which we update frequently so check it out; http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants . 

What Teray Says...

So we had originally planned going out on Saturday night but because Brett got home that day we were way too tired and wanted to spend the night in. We decided we were going to go to my favorite meal, brunch, on Sunday morning. Brunch makes me so happy, so I had no complaints. I did the research and chose to go to Rise and Shine, A Steak and Egg Place in Southern Highlands. I love Southern Highlands. The complex that Rise and Shine is located in has many restaurants that we have gone to for the blog (Barcelona, Off the Strip, and Extreme Sushi). My goal is to eat in all the restaurants that I have never been to in that plaza. 

When you walk into Rise and Shine you are immediately put into a good mood, if you aren't in one already, because of the decor. There are these upside umbrella looking things that look like flowers hanging from the ceiling. The waitresses are in pajamas and the colors of the walls are bright and sunny. We were seated right away and greeted by our waitress. 




We ordered our food fairly quickly, I knew what I wanted right away and Brett needed a few minutes to decide. I ordered the fried chicken and waffles. I just really love that combination and I know it is so awful for you, but once in a while a girl has got to splurge. What was awesome about this meal is that it comes with a pot of bread. What is a pot of bread you ask? It is a little flower pot with cinnamon roll bread in it. It is absolutely pure amazement, so I recommend when you go here, you get the pot of bread rather than just plain toast. 




It didn't take long for our food to come out. My chicken and waffles were amazing. The size of the piece of chicken that you got was so big, that of course Brett ate some of my meal. I normally can eat every bite at brunch, so this shows the portion size was good. I don't know exactly what Brett ordered, I am sure he will elaborate more, but his was delicious and the portion size was also huge. 




Overall, I would rate Rise and Shine without a doubt 5 out of 5. If I lived closer I would be there every single week, but I am sure I will definitely be back again.

What Brett Says...

On a normal day I just drink a protein shake for breakfast, sometimes that just doesn't cut it and you need a real breakfast.  After not seeing Teray for 3 weeks and living a rough life for those 3 weeks...it just so happened to be that kind of morning.  Teray keeps hearing about random restaurants and they keep showing up in the same shopping complex in Southern Highlands.  This week we went to "Rise and Shine."

"Rise and Shine" gives off a mom and pop feel...with a Vegas twist of course.  It isn't very big which was nice, unless I'm watching football and drinking beer with my eggs I don't really like crowds for breakfast.  The entire layout was just cool.  The overhead lighting were lit up flowers made of umbrellas (the Vegas twist), there were colors everywhere, and you could see most of what was going on.  Another nice thing was that the menu was simple and made it easy to pick what I wanted, the downside to the menu was the pricing.  For the two of us it came to around $30; we didn't order coffee but it is $3.85 for coffee and you only get two cups...really?  I think their location and size are going to be key to their survival, in a town where you can get breakfast for <$5 in any local bar you need something.

Another key selling point to this place is the service.  Our waitress was amazing, not just saying that since she is from Michigan.  It wasn't just the server either, the hostess was friendly and the manager made sure everything worked out.  Everyone went about making sure we were happy without the routine feel that other restaurants use.  Our waitress also took their time to explain things to us and other tables around us, at no point did feel stupid for asking what "pot bread" was.

Now on to the food.  They cover all the breakfast basics and then some, there is something for everyone.  I chose to get an omelet with steak on top, hash browns, a side of hollandaise sauce, and a pot of bread.  That is correct, a pot of bread.  I had to ask, once answered I had to order it.  It is cinnamon white bread baked in a small plant pot, interesting idea and amazing taste.  I would consider getting this as a snack if I lived closer.  The omelet was also very good, next time I would ask that the steak be cut up more and put inside the eggs but it wasn't a deal breaker.  I'm not sure if the hollandaise sauce was homemade or not but it was really good and went with the meal well.  The hash browns were, well they were hash browns.  I also ordered an orange juice which was freshly made, so fresh there was a seed.  The Vegas twist they don't have is that they do not serve alcohol, so after eating we went to the bar for drinks and football.

Overall "Rise and Shine" was good.  I think it is more of a place to go for a breakfast date or if family is in town.  If you are just shooting for breakfast then stick to your local bar; save some cash and have a drink.  It is worth checking out because the experience and atmosphere are worth it.

Rating 3.5 out of 5

Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. Check out my outfit of the week provided by Patty's Closet Fashion Boutique. I am obsessed with crosses. Everyone that has seen my house knows this. I love this top because it can be dressed up and dressed down. It is a mullet style top. I 
paired it with some jeggings and over the knee boots from Heart&Sole by PC. These boots as you can see in the picture have amazing zippers in the back which make them so unique. My earrings are from Sparkle by Patty's Closetand are a real classic piece of jewelry that can be worn over and over again. You can find this look at the trifecta of stores at Rainbow and Windmill. 







So as I mentioned above we know Christmas and other holidays are approaching so if you are lucky enough to have a Patty's Closet near you (Las Vegas, Portland, Englewood, and Hawaii) you guys should really do your holiday shopping for presents and attire there. If you haven't already you should also like their Facebook pages for Patty's, Sparkle, and Heart and Sole, all of which are linked above if you click on the names of the stores. They get shipments every Tuesday and Friday and post the items on the Facebook pages, so check it out! Lastly, if you are not lucky enough to have a Patty's near you, you can shop online at:shop.Ilovepattyscloset.com . I head to Patty's every Tuesday afternoon so maybe I will see you guys there this week!

Until next time, cheers to the holiday season, the most wonderful time of the year. xoxo <3


No comments:

Post a Comment