Saturday, June 15, 2013

Week 101 The Mad Greek Cafe

I cannot believe this is post 101. I know, I know, we have been a little bit behind on this blog, but I promise we will pump them out soon and get back on track now that Brett has a new schedule and I am on summer break, thank goodness. 

Remember, we have a blog Facebook page, which we update frequently, so if you haven't already be sure to check it out: https://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants

What Teray Says...

So for some reason, I think it is because I saw someone eating it on tv, I was really craving Greek food. Brett and I have been to a lot of the Greek restaurants in the area, but on my way to tutoring, I always drive past The Mad Greek Cafe and decided that is where we would go. 

Mad Greek Cafe is totally up my ally. It is exaggerated Greek themed with lights and fake garden outside. I loved the atmosphere immediately. We sat outside because it was a gorgeous night. I am glad we did because although the people inside looked like they were having so much fun, the music was a little loud for me. 

We were seated right away and our service got off to the right track, but kind of went down hill from there. We started with hummus and pita as well as grape leaves. Both of them were some of the best that I have ever had. If you are a follower of this blog, you know that Khoury's is my favorite Greek restaurant, and these were on par with their food. If you go there, definitely get these as appetizers. 

We got our appetizers in a fair amount of time. We ordered our dinner shortly after, but then it went down hill from there. Brett and I both got a gyro. I ordered mine as the meal with rice and salad and Brett asked for the sandwich version so he could get some spinach pie type thing with his as well. Well, not only did he not end up getting the right thing, it took over an hour to get our dinner. This is why the appetizers were so important, because if they weren't somewhat filling,  I would have passed out from hunger. 

Once the food did arrive, it was delicious, and the portion was huge, enough that I brought some home and ate it the next day for lunch. I think I would have enjoyed it more though if it didn't take so long; I was kind of irritated by then. We thought we should order our dessert as soon as the food came out so we wouldn't have to wait forever for that too. We both picked baklava, which of course was absolutely delightful and a good way to close out this crazy meal. We were at the restaurant for hours; not that we cared, but we went later as it was so we were both exhausted by the end. 

Overall, I enjoyed Mad Greek Cafe, but was not happy the service took so long. The food was delicious though. If you want to make a night of it, this place is for you. I rate Mad Greek Cafe 3 out 5. 







What Brett Says...

The entire week Teray was talking about getting some Greek food, so by the time the weekend came around I was craving it too.  We decided to check out "Mad Greek Cafe" on Durango near Sahara.  OPA!

Well they are definitely different then most restaurants when it came to the environment of the place.  The have a decent size patio that is completely surrounded with plant life, the city is completely cut off from intruding on your dining experience. They have speakers so you can enjoy the indoor entertainment (the speakers sound horrible most of the time).  As for seating, you either luck out and get a table that will allow you to be comfortable or you end up at something that has a flat surface and be uncomfortable.  The inside is a pretty simple set up; chairs and tables.  They also had a stage with live music and belly dancers.  I'm not sure how great the music was because of the speakers.  I will say indoors and out everyone seemed to be really into the experience of the restaurant.  If you do sit outside just know that everyone around you will be a smoker and depending on the breeze you may end up in the cross hairs.

Onto the service.  Everyone we encountered was very friendly and seemed to not hate being there.  The level of respect given to the customers was out of this world.  Unfortunately as far as the service it was shaky.  While our drinks seemed to be well taken care of getting food was a different story.  I didn't get what I ordered (two weeks in a row now) and it took close to an hour to get our entree. We did get told repeatedly that it was almost done, neither of us ordered anything that should take more then 5 minutes.  There also seemed to be an issue with staff dropping glass in the patio, it happened multiple times throughout out meal.

I'll start this section by saying the food we ate was delicious.  We started off with hummus and pita, every Greek restaurant should have this down pretty good.  We also had an order of grape leaves that was small but the flavor was good.  I ordered the gyro sandwich and got the gyro plate.  I just wanted to eat a wrap and make my life easy, unfortunately I got a plate that was much larger, required me to work, and cost a couple dollars more...no biggie but it still wasn't what I ordered.  The plate was very good though.  I also ordered their spinach pies, every place has their own version.  Theirs are several smaller pieces but it was amazing.  For dessert we ordered baklava...thankfully it was awesome and we were able to end the meal on a high note.

Overall I'm not entirely sure how to feel about Mad Greek Cafe.  Every aspect except the food had its weak points and high points.  I think we need to go again to see if all this is normal.  Unfortunately I only have this experience to go off of.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

PS: We ended up next to two very annoying people who kept trying to sound intellectual to each other but failed miserably.  At one point they were making fun of pretentious people while they themselves were being pretentious.


Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. Check out my outfit of the week provided by Patty's Closet Fashion Boutique. I love nautical looks; they are classic and never go out of style. This tee is so cute not only because of the front design but look at the back. I put it with a bandeau top from Patty's underneath and some denim pinstriped shorts from Lucky. You can find this adorable top that is perfect for many summer occassions at the Rainbow PC. 



If you haven't already, make sure you check out the Patty's Closet Facebook page, because they update it with all the new shipment items each Tuesday and Friday. They also have an online store if you don't have a PC near you, shop.ilovepattyscloset.com

Until next time, cheers to summer break. xo

1 comment:

  1. Outfit is adorable, a twist to an old time fave for this time of year. Very very adorable!!!! As far as the restaurant goes, food sounds great but never a good thing when you aren't electing to wait and wait and wait.

    ReplyDelete