Thursday, February 28, 2013

Week 88 Streets of New York Pizza

Welcome back food and fashion lovers. I hope your February was great. Can you believe tomorrow is March 1st? Crazy how fast this year is going! Anyway, for all of the new likes on the Facebook page, just wanted to give you a quick thanks. 

Remember, you can always find our blog on the LV Informer under the Local Interest section, http://lasvegas.informermg.com/ and as mentioned above, we do have a Facebook page, so check it out and hit like if you have a chance, http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants.

What Teray Says...

This week Brett and I wanted something quick and easy to eat being we were going to be heading off the next day for a staycation. I had gotten a Groupon about two weeks back for Streets of New York, and it was perfect for a quick meal. 

Streets of New York is located on Ft. Apache and Tropicana, which is less than 10 minutes from our house. We went at around 8:30 on a Saturday night, and the place wasn't too crowded, which is fine with me, because I was able to hear Brett talk and relax. Sometimes when we are out I get so overwhelmed with the noise and people watching, I don't get to enjoy the company of Brett to the fullest with all of the distractions. 

We were seated right away by a very friendly hostess. He was a young guy with a nice demeanor and he got our drinks right away and brought us some menus. We decided to go for the beer battered combo for our appetizer which consisted of zucchini sticks, mozzarella sticks and onion rings. The portion size was very good and plenty for the two of us. For dinner we ordered the Classic # 7 pizza. You can only get this if you dine in the restaurant. On the Classic #7 was salami, capacola, swiss cheese and topped with lettuce, tomatoes, onion and Italian dressing. It was like a pizza and sandwich combination and it was fabulous! I would definitely recommend that if you go there. To drink we got a pitcher of Bud Light and for dessert we got the Passion cookie which is like a pizookie, a huge chocolate chip cookie topped with vanilla ice cream, which was my favorite part of the meal. Yum. My mouth is watering thinking about it. Overall, the food was delicious. 

Now, I know Brett is going to compare this to real New York. He has only been there twice, so I am not sure it is fair that he compares it. He didn't grow up less than an hour away like I did and spend most of his life visiting there. Here's the thing, nothing in Vegas will ever compare to New York, it s not even fair to compare. It is totally different and both have delicious food. People wonder why it is not the same and I was always told growing up it is the water which leads the bread to tasting better leading to things such as pizza and bagels tasting better. I will stick by that idea for my whole life. For Vegas NY food, this was delicious. 

As for the service, the staff was very friendly, but our waitress was nothing to write home about. There was only one other table besides us and she didn't really check on us or anything. We didn't need anything, but if we did then we probably would not have gotten it during dinner. As for the atmosphere, I really liked it and the concept and think it would be a fun place to go with a group. 

Overall, I rate Streets of New York 4 out of 5 and would like to go back for the lunch special. 







What Brett Says...

Like Las Vegas New York City is a epicenter for good food.  The best of the best can be found in both cities.  One thing I have learned in my years living in Las Vegas is that Sin City has the worst pizza of anywhere I have been.  NYC on the other hand has proved it's pies are the best, time and time again.  I was there for three weeks in 2012 and every chance I got I was grabbing a slice.  So this week we ventured out to solve the problem with Vegas, finding a place that makes great pizza.  What better place to start then "Streets of New York."  They make pizza, sandwiches, and pasta.

I was expecting a small pizza joint with a couple tables and counter service, I mean that is NY pizza.  Well they opted to go with more of a corporate restaurant feel.  There was a good amount of tables, a bar area, and a see through kitchen area.  We grabbed a booth, they were pretty dead so we had choices.  The place had a good layout and it looked good, more importantly it looked clean.  This is a place where the cleanliness actually stood out.  It also had more of an East coast feel to it, more wood and less modern.  It isn't a bad thing, sometimes you have to get back to basics and give people comfort.  They also have a television that streams their deals and advertisements, I bring this up because they have a slide that offers Military, Police, and Fire a discount...I think 10-15% off.  That's great, they serve and help people and protect us.  Now the part that frustrates me, on a small soap box, why is it that business refuse to recognize EMS?  The military fights for our country, police enforce laws and protect us, fire protects property and saves lives...EMS specifically saves lives yet we never get a discount.  I don't advertise being a paramedic when we go out but it would be nice to just be included in the category as important.  I am use to it, literally no where offers EMS a discount like military, police, or fire.  Whatever, I don't do it for discounts.  Off my soapbox.

Now onto the service; it definitely had it's goods and bads.  Everyone was polite and friendly.  We were sat quickly, felt very welcomed.  Unfortunately they only time we saw our server was to place our drink order, food order, and pay the bill.  Our drinks were brought by someone else, our food was brought by someone else, someone else checked on us throughout the meal.  Service was great, we just rarely saw our actual server.  We were never neglected, I would just expect that we would be paid attention to considering we were one of maybe 3-4 tables.  So, kudos to the staff as a hole.  It seems like they know they have a weak link and more then made up for it.  I hope she tips them out well, but I doubt it.

Onto the food, what we came here for.  Hoping and praying we have found genuine NYC pizza.  I decided it was Saturday night, I worked all week and I ordered a pitcher of beer.  Nothing makes pizza better like having a buzz.  We decided to start with the "beer battered combination" which had zucchini slices, mozz sticks, and fried onions.    Pretty standard appetizer but what they do is give you a decent amount and somehow made it in such a way that wasn't super oily.  It was all really good and you didn't really feel like it was deep fried.  Now onto the pie.  We decided to go with "The Classic #7," I mean keep it simple and go with what they call the classic.  They probably make hundreds a day.  It had salami, capicola ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, and seasoning.  I'm not one to put lettuce and fresh tomatoes on a pizza but I'm open minded enough to try it.  I'll admit it was really good.  I would happily eat it again, it did take some skill to eat it like a slice but I pulled it off and enjoyed it.  I would have loved to try a white pizza, which is what NYC pizza is all about, but they didn't have one on the menu.  I was really surprised, I mean you could build your own but to not even have it on the menu?  Regardless I was impressed with everything I ate.

Overall...I am torn.  The place was dead but you aren't going for the crowd.  The feel of the restaurant is good and comfortable.  I think it is safe to say our issue with our server was a fluke based on the rest of the staff.  They do honor two out of three branches of public safety as well as the military so that is a good thing, with a little downside.  The food wasn't up to par with actual New York pizza but it was far better then Las Vegas pizza.  I think this place would be a hot spot if it was in a better location (Hacienda/Ft. Apache).  

Rating 3.75 out of 5


Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Thank you to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. Check out my outfit of the week provided by Patty's Closet Fashion Boutique. I love a dress that you can dress up or dress down. You will see you I shared two ways that you can wear it. The one on the far right is just if you wanted to dress it up, the lace in the dress do the shining. The back is also open, I will post a picture of that on the blog. The second way, in the middle, is how I wore it last night. Brett and I decided to go to a more casual place for dinner so I through on a brown leather jacket and some combat boots. I love the tough girl chic look. I paired it with some girly, flower accessories from Sparkle by Patty's Closet to complete my look. This dress is one of those pieces that you can wear to many occasions, so I suggest you add it to your wardrobe. You can find this at the Rainbow location. 


If you aren't lucky enough to have a PC near you make sure that you check out their online store at shop.ilovepattyscloset.com.  You can also access their FB page which are linked above in the description to see pictures of new items on shipment days (Tuesdays and Fridays) and keep up to date on all of the newest store openings and events. Tell them Teray sent you!

Until next time, cheers to spring being in the air. <3 xo




No comments:

Post a Comment