Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Week 78 M & M Soul Food

Happy December friends! Are you getting excited for the holiday?! We definitely are with so many gatherings that we are hosting and going to and with so many things to celebrate (Christmas, my birthday, NYE, NYD), I can hardly contain myself. Now, onto the blog...

Remember, you can always find our reviews on the LV Informer http://lasvegas.informermg.com/. We also have a Facebook page that we update daily, so check it out http://www.facebook.com/thenewlywedsguidetovegasrestaurants .

What Teray Says...

So it was Brett's turn to pick and because we had something to do that night, we decided to go out for lunch during the day. Brett says he has been dying to go to M & M Soul Food since we started the blog because he drives by it while in the ambulance. I don't know why he didn't say anything sooner, because if I had known how amazing this place was, I would have been back many times by now if we had gone sooner!

M & M is located at W. Charleston and Valley View, a cross section I have never ventured into during my five years in Vegas. Before going in, I thought it was going to be a small place in which you ordered, got the food from the counter and sat at one of the few tables. I was very mistaken because this place is good in size with tons of tables and it is a typical sit down restaurant. 

We were greeted right away by friendly staff and I just loved every one's energy so much that I knew this was going to be a good experience. We studied the menu for a few minutes but knew exactly what we were getting almost right away.




 Brett ordered jambalaya and I ordered friend chicken. The fried chicken came with a choice of three sides; I picked macaroni and cheese and I let Brett pick the other two which were collared greens and sweet potatoes. 

While waiting for our orders we drank our sodas which were in mason jars (I am obsessed with this trend) and ate corn bread pancakes which they brought out two helpings. 




The food came out pretty fast, the menu said fried items would take at least 20 minutes but I feel like it was shorter than that, maybe it is because we were having such a nice time. My fried chicken was beyond amazing, without a doubt the best I have ever had. The whole portion, which I ordered so I could share it with Brett came with three pieces. I ate two and gave Brett one. The macaroni and cheese, collard greens and sweet potatoes also were the best of those foods that I have ever had. Seriously, this food was like a dream come true for food lovers. Speaking of loving food, Brett's jambalaya was also to die for, just look at the picture and you will see why. 





I was way too full for dessert but Brett ordered peach cobbler. I had one bite and that also was amazing. Next time I definitely will leave room for dessert. 



Overall, my experience at M & M was one of the best that I have had in Vegas. For service, atmosphere and most of all food I rate them 5 out 5. If my scale was higher it would be higher, but I have to stay with my tried and true rating system. M & M is definitely the best of the best. 

What Brett Says...

Sometimes you just need some home cookin' southern style.  This was one of those days.  I drive by "M&M Soul Food Cafe" everyday, I've been driving by for over three years.  For the past three years I just never took the time to stop and actually check it out, it just looks like a place you can get real soul food.  Sometimes you just get that feeling.  We have been doing this blog for a year and a half...they have been on my list since the beginning, why it took me till now is beyond me.  Well, we finally went and they had a coupon in the Entertainment book (buy one get one free).  Not that it says it on the coupon but apparently they don't accept them on the weekend, luckily they made an exception.  They are located at Charleston and Valley View in a strip mall.  

If you happen to be like us; both white, Teray with her blonde hair, and dressed like stereotypical white folk expect to get a bunch of looks when you walk in the door...you know the "they must be lost" looks.  But fortunately that's where it ends, once you sit down it is business as usual and the atmosphere and service is very welcoming.  I don't usually start with the service, because it is usually horrible, but M&M has some awesome people on staff.  Everyone we dealt with was over the top friendly and helpful.  The staff couldn't do enough to make it an enjoyable experience, constatly getting us refills of our water and cornbread pancakes.  If you aren't from east of the Mississippi then you might not get it but this is how a Mom and Pop restaurant should feel.  People just making people feel welcome, it isn't an act they put on because they have to it is just their personalities.

The restaurant itself was nothing like what I was expecting.  You create this image in your head when you only see places from the outside.  I was expecting a small place where you order at a counter and sit down at a table if you want.  More of a takeout place.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  This is a full out restaurant, Mom and Pop style.  They have quite a few tables and even a counter you can eat at.  The tables and chairs are old school but it works for a place like this.  It reminds me of the 24hr diners back in Michigan.  They are confident in their product and don't need to change as the trends change.  They realize tables and chairs are just that, tables and chairs.  They are selling an atmosphere, service, and food.

When you talk about a soul food restaurant nothing really matters except the food.  Everything else is just extra, without good food there is no point in going.  Soul food is either really good or worthless, there is no in between.  M&M is definitely on the amazing end of the spectrum.  They have chicken and waffles, seafood gumbo, catfish, liver and onions, and the rest of the staples.  When you sit down they bring you cornbread pancakes, refills if you want.  The other major staple they have...Kool-Aid.  Starting with the cornbread, it can only be described as amazing.  I could have just sat there all day eating it, it was moist and had the right flavor.  Since we went on a Saturday I decided to get their seafood gumbo which is only available on the weekends.  Don't think of other gumbos you have had where there is rice and beans with some random seafood and sausage mixed in.  Think gumbo crab bake.  In my gumbo I had whole chicken wings, shrimp, sausage, crab legs, claws and a little rice.  You have to work for the food and it is worth the work.  I spent 20min just working through the bowl and not even caring about the mess I was making.  I couldn't get enough of it.  Luckily Teray never eats all of her food (not that there wasn't enough in my dish, the food was just too good to stop eating).  I had some of her fried chicken, collard greens, mac and cheese, yams.  That was amazing too.  This was as close to grandma's home cooking as I could get, that is if my grandma was a southern black woman.  I honestly cannot imagine a person going here an not being satisfied and stuffed when they leave.  But in true fashion I couldn't leave it there.  I had to get dessert, I decided to get the peach cobbler, another success.

Overall I think it is pretty obvious that I recommend this place and plan on returning.  The service was amazing and the food was even better.  If you drive by it you know the place, it has a way of catching your eye.  Stop just driving by and get in there to enjoy it.  This is the kind of place that makes trying a new place every week worth it.

A very easy 5 out of 5

Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week

Thank you to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week! Check out my outfit of the week provided by Patty's Closet Fashion Boutique. I love sweaters because the weather is getting cooler and this one is fabulous because it adds a little glitz and glamour to an everyday outfit because it shimmers.
 The color combination is perfect for the holiday season. I paired it with a pair of combat boots fromHeart&Sole by PC and earrings by Sparkle by Patty's Closet. You can find this look at the trifecta of stores at Rainbow/Windmill.





If you haven't already you need to like the Patty's, Heart and Sole, and Sparkle Facebook pages that are linked within their names above. They get shipments every Tuesday and Friday and they post pics of the new items as well as store openings. Also, if you aren't lucky enough to have a Patty's near you, you can order online at shop.ilovepattyscloset.com

Until next time cheers to making spirits bright <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment