Monday, July 18, 2011

Week 7 Lotus of Siam

Hi Everyone! Thanks again for checking out this week's blog post. We have gotten a lot of feedback that people are having a difficult time for some reason when it comes to following the blog, so we are also going to make a Facebook page for the blog in addition to keeping it on Blogger, which as soon as that is up, we will post it here. Also, thanks again to our new followers via the follow link and through email. 


What Teray Says...


So this week I was in a pickle. I researched all week where to go and I thought I had made the choice of where we were going and when we arrived there, we find out that it is not open on Sundays. Now, everyone that knows me, knows that I don't like the pressure of deciding where to go on the spot unless I am planning a fun girls outing. :) I quick pulled Yelp up on my iPhone and found that the burning restaurant of the week was Lotus of Siam, so that is what I chose for my replacement pick.


From the outside I was a little nervous because the area is not the greatest. I told Brett if it wasn't a restaurant type atmosphere (more like a take out place) then I would want to change my pick to something I saw down the road. I could not believe when we opened the door how crowded it was. Once you moved past the crowd there were pictures of famous people that have eaten there everywhere! Everyone from Drew Barrymore to Billy Joel were on those walls.


The wait was not even 5 minutes and we were seating in a side room facing a huge area with tons of bottles of wine in a wine freezer type thing. The only thing that I did not like right away is that the table next to us was literally next to us with a tiny crack in between and I could hear the whole conversation of the table next to us (I honestly didn't care that they were cowboys or about their horse competitions. lol). 


Front of the restaurant

Look at all of this wine



We started off with an appetizer. I had only eaten Thai food two times before this, but I recognized what we picked because I heard it was an appetizer at our wedding (not that I was at the cocktail hour to try it). The Sa-tay, which consisted of peanut sauce, chicken skewers and cucumber salad was very good. You got five skewers so the two that I ate and the three that Brett ate was just enough so that we didn't lose our appetite. I liked the peanut sauce so much I wanted to eat it with a spoon, but obviously I would never do that. 

Sa-tay (appetizer)


For dinner I ordered the pad thai with pork because I had eaten before and knew I liked it. I didn't understand some of the things on the menu, and I was really hungry so I wanted to stick with what I knew and made sure that I liked it. It was such a big portion and was just the right amount of noodles, veggies and peanuts. Brett actually got to eat some too and there was still plenty for me. The meal came with white rice. Brett ordered yellow curry with chicken which was also mouth watering. We basically split both of our meals in half so that we got to enjoy both. Next time I go back, I would definitely get a curry dish. 

Teray's Pad Thai with pork

Brett's yellow curry with chicken


We wanted to get a Thai dessert and decided on mango and sticky rice. I never have heard of putting rice in a dessert besides rice pudding, but the rice was delicious. It was white rice with a syrupy substance on top, very sweet, but not too sweet. The mango was ripe and literally melted in my mouth. The portion was just enough that I didn't leave feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. 
Mango with sticky rice
Overall, I enjoyed the food so much. I have had Thai food only 2 other times so I did not have much to compare it on, but I really enjoyed it. I would like to go back just because the portions were a great size that you could get two meals out of them, but also because the prices were so reasonable! I can definitely see why Lotus of Siam is the burning restaurant on Yelp and why there were so many people waiting to eat. I rate this restaurant 4.5 out of 5, taking away a half of a point for the tables being so close together because I am claustrophobic. 

What Brett Says...

This week Teray and I went to "Herbs and Rye," oh wait they were closed.  So much for being a Vegas Weekly Sunday hot spot.  When we got there and they were closed Teray had to decide kinda on the spot where we were going.  If you know Teray you know she isn't a fan of deciding and even less so when it is spur of the moment.  As a second resort we went to "Lotus of Siam."  This is a Thai restaurant on East Sahara by all the swinger clubs, 900 block of East Sahara.  Not the greatest neighborhood from my experience but nothing to worry about if the sun is still kinda up, the shady people come out in the middle of the night.  I was excited with the choice, I haven't had Thai food in a couple years.  

Lotus is another strip mall find...after showing up I realized I had heard of it but never gave it a second thought since it was somewhat out of the way from where I have always lived.  Lotus is the hole in the wall you would never go to unless it was recommended, which is weird because it seems to be the place where anyone that is anybody goes.  The walls are covered with pictures of people that carry around headshots...the celebrities.  I unfortunately left my headshot at home so I owe them an autograph.  As we walked in there was a large group of people waiting to be sat, fortunately for us tables for 2 only took about five minutes, anything bigger seemed to be waiting a while.  We got sat in what I think is a newer expansion.  I was surprised that the restaurant was as big as it was, by far the biggest we have been to on our tour.  The atmosphere was lively and interesting to look at, between all the people, the celebrity pictures and the wine room I was amused in an ADD kind of way.

We started our dining experience with a Sa-tay appetizer, chicken with a peanut sauce.  This was something that we served at our wedding but never actually got to try.  So for me it was a way to experience part of our wedding I didn't get to that special night.  We then looked through the menu which seemed to go on forever.  I decided on the Yellow Curry with Pork and Teray went with Pad-thai.  I have always been a fan of Thai yellow curry dishes, so I played it safe.  I was glad I did, the dish was amazing.  It had the right flavor and that always welcome hint of coconut.  The dish was about the size of a normal meal, throw in the white rice and it was filling.  Teray and I split each other's meals, hers was good...I would actually say it was better then mine.  It had a hint of sweet, a hint of spice, and a just overall a interesting blend.  I would recommend doing the order and split...that way you can try a bit of everything.  We of course opted to get dessert, it was a sticky rice and mango combo.  The first bite was questionable if not bad.  But I continued on and ended up really enjoying the dessert.  I think that first bite was thrown off because of the hot rice, kind of a first in the dessert realm for me.  By the end I was hoping Teray would get full and I could finish it...luckily I know Teray always gives me the last bite, she's a good wifey like that.

All in all I would have to say this place is definitely worth going to, be it on a date or out with the boys.  The prices are alot better then you would think considering all the familiar faces on the wall.  I am going to give "Lotus of Siam" a 5 out of 5.  The service was quick without being overbearing, the food hit all the right notes, the price was perfect ($40 with tip), and the atmosphere would go over well no matter the occasion.  I am looking forward to the next time I have friends or family in town, this is going to be on the list of places to go.


Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week
Again, thank you to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with this week's outfit of the week. The dress is so fun and flirty and I absolutely love the color! It ruffles in the front with an A-line form, but the coolest thing about this dress is that it is longer in the back than in the front, which makes it totally work appropriate. My earrings are also from Patty's Closet; I am totally loving all things feather right now. They have so many colors and sizes, so definitely check them out. 


Check out these fabulous earrings!

Like Patty's Closet on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/PattysClosetLV)
and visit their website at: www.ilovepattyscloset.com

Until next time, cheers to love, laughter, and good food! 









2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys enjoyed this place. I was one of the lucky ones who got to try that chicken with peanut butter sauce at your wedding. I definitely would love that place decor with all the head shots makes you feel like your one of the celebs. Maybe you could drop off one of your wedding pics lol.

    My love the dress from Patty's Closet it is so girly girl. Very nice. Love the way you put the feather earrings with it to give it that edgy look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week's pick sounds like it was a definite winner. Although you started out with your original place being closed, I think you lucked out . Personally, the celebrities on the wall are something that I love. To just think that one night, you could be dining and in comes this huge "star", what to do...stare, ask for a autograph or better yet with the new iphones a picture with them :)And it's a conversation started for the evening. From the photos you took of your dishes... everything looked yummy. Most times a crowd is a good indicator of the restaurant . The outfit of the week is so feminine without being overly frilly and the feather earrings are the latest craze in every magazine you pick up. I rate the OUTFIT 5 out of 5 :)

    ReplyDelete