Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Week 6 Dona Norma Restaurante Nicaraguense

Hi guys! Thanks again for reading and to our followers an even bigger thanks! If you are not a follower yet, be sure to click the follow box on the right hand side and you can follow with Twitter, Yahoo, Google or AOL. If you don't have any of those, just put your email address in the box. :)


What Teray Says

This week it was Brett's turn to chose the place where we were eating. He found a place that he was talking about in the beginning of the week in which he said he just drove by while working. As you guys know, with his job, he drives all over the city, so I never know what to expect. I tried even Googling what he was talking about, but couldn't find it, so I was in for a big mystery either way.


The girl who made our food is the girl on the cover of the menu.


When we arrived at the restaurant, I didn't know if it was closed or open according to the side view. When we pulled in, we saw the sign and not many cars in front. I was nervous, but this blog is all about going out of our comfort zone at times, so I was ready to go.

Dona Norma's is a small restaurant located in Downtown Las Vegas. When you enter, you don't know what to expect, it is a very quaint, small casual restaurant in which you can either eat in or get take out. We were greeted by a friendly gentleman, who I am assuming was the manager. He explained to us what he was eating, because I was eyeing it the whole time. I guess when you eat Nicarguense food you can eat a pastry with your actual meal, so that is what we started with. This pastry was mouth watering delicious. It was a breaded type pastry with sugar lightly coated on top and some sort of sweet filling in the inside. I could have eaten about 10 of them, and for $2 each, you definitely got your money's worth.

This pastry is called Pico.

While eating our pastry, we decided what to order. From the beginning, I chose Pollo Asado al Carbon (grilled chicken, rice and beans, fried cheese, fried sweet plantains or crispy). Brett originally ordered a pork dish, but because they were out of pork, he decided on a chicken dish as well, Pollo fito (fried chicken with rice mixed, fried cheese, and crispy plantains.) While waiting for our food we talked with the gentleman again, who I am assuming is the manager, learning about the type of food we were eating. When our plates arrived, my eyes lit up. The portion was huge!!! It was so funny to see bananas and beans on the same plate together (yes, I know bananas are different than plantains, but to me who is not familiar with them, they are the same category.)

My and Brett's dinner; they look the same, but are different.
First, I will start with the chicken. It was perfectly broiled and the portion size was very reasonable for the money. You got one leg and one breast. The skin was lightly seasoned, which I took most off because I am not a fan of the skin on food, but from what I tasted, it was pretty good. The rice and beans of course were amazing, and even if they weren't I probably would say that because I love rice and beans from an authentic place. The cabbage salad was crisp and light, which was a perfect type of veggie to go with this meal. The friend cheese was a triangle of cheese that looked like a tiny piece of pizza without sauce. I told Brett as I was eating this fried cheese, that I could eat it everyday of my life, it was that delicious. Lastly the fried and crispy plantains were so light, that I kept eating them. I think that was my favorite part of the whole meal. I am going to have to see if my local food store sells these, because they were fantastic!

Overall, again, I was extremely pleased with this pick. For two huge meals and a pastry the total was $20.60. I would love to try another meat next time I go there, and yes I would make the drive downtown again. As for the atmosphere, it was decorated with culturally themed decor and there was a huge flat screen that played music in a language that I did not recognize, but I did know one of the songs by the beat! :) Anyway, I would rate this restaurant 3 out of 5 (the building and atmosphere lowered the rating).






What Brett says...


So this week was my week to choose, I went with a place I have never heard of or knew really nothing about.  I drive around all day and see tons of restaurants, this was one of them.  I am always driving through the Charleston and Maryland Parkway intersection, often sitting at that damn light.  Well I kept noticing this little hole in the wall place that had a sign up for Nicaraguan food.  I didn't even know the name until we walked in...it is Dona Norma.  To be honest when we pulled into the parking lot I thought it was closed for construction or maybe even being torn down.  To my relief the doors were open.  I have never had Nicaraguan food, I figured it would be along the lines of Mexican food.  When Teray and I walked in we realized we were the only non-employees in the place.  I wasn't sure if we were suppose to sit down to order or if we ordered at the counter, honestly I'm still not sure.  Luckily an employee that spoke some English pointed us in the direction of the menus.  As a side note you should know that speaking Spanish is not a requirement to eat here but it would definitely be a welcome attribute.  After looking it over it was time.

I decided on a pork dish and Teray a chicken dish, about 2 minutes later we were told that our options were chicken or chicken...we went with chicken.  Teray ordered the Pollo Asado al Carbon (grilled chicken) and I ordered the Pollo Frito (fried chicken).  After we ordered it was suggested to us that we try a pastry, I think it was called a Pico and it was the bomb.  It was big enough for both of us, kind of a danish without filling and a light sugar topping.  Plus it was only $2.  After getting the pastry we decided to take it upon ourselves to grab one of the open tables, like I said they were all open.  Not sure whether our food would be brought to us or we would have to get it at the counter we just waited.  It felt like longer then usual but I'm not sure since there was nothing to catch our attention to pass the time.  The owner did turn on some Hispanic music, the concert looked like it was taped in the 80's.  Eventually another random employee brought us out some waters and shortly after our food.

When we got our plates we weren't sure if they got our order right because both chicken dishes look exactly the same, come to find out they were right.  For $9 a piece we got a ton of food.  On each plate were two large pieces of chicken, a generous portion of beans/rice, a fried cheese triangle, banana chip things, cabbage salad and sauteed plantain.  I tried both of our chickens, they each tasted different but really good.  I was actually surprised that they tasted so different.  The beans and rice were well beans and rice.  The cabbage salad was good, kinda like cole slaw without the dressing.  The fried cheese triangle was good, probably the best piece of cheese I have ever had.  I am a fan of mozz sticks but this blew them out of the water.  The banana chips were slices of banana sliced long ways and from what I can tell dehydrated, they had a light flavor but nothing really stood out.  Now the sauteed plantain is a whole other story, I loved this part.  It was sweet without being too sweet...kinda a with the entree mini dessert.  Overall I have to say the was top notch...surprised myself.

I would suggest that you at least check this place out, sooner then later I don't know how long it will be standing.  The physical side of things was nothing to comment on, go for the food not the experience.  There did appear to be a bakery in the next room over, no idea.  

My rating is an overall 2.5/5, the food is what got it there.  If the building matched the quality of the food this place would easily be a 4/5.  Unfortunately this is the kind of place to get the food to go not so much go on a date there.  If you want to make it a date grab the food for a picnic or maybe to bring home if you live close enough.  I would def eat the food again, but never actually eat there.  If I had to go back for one thing it would be the "Pico" pastry.  Plus it was nice having an amazing dinner for two at only $22.


Patty's Closet Outfit of the Week:
Again, a super huge thanks to Patty and Juan of Patty's Closet for providing me with my outfit of the week this week. This dress is absolutely perfect for a night out at your favorite martini lounge or for a day of shopping. The belt is also from Patty's Closet as well, and I love the sparkly detail. Lastly, the head band is a piece that I have had from Patty's Closet, but had to put it with the outfit because it matched so perfectly (they always have amazing hair accessories).


Outfit available at the Rainbow store


Isn't this belt adorable?!


Make sure to follow Patty's Closet on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/PattysClosetLV

and check out their website (Vegas people they are doing an amazing segment right now where you can have your closet raided by them for the MORE show on Fox 5, you can enter on the website!

http://ilovepattyscloset.com/click-here/


Until next time, cheers to new experiences and stepping outside of the box. 

6 comments:

  1. This place sounds a little strange to me. Not a big fan! Plus, I am still drooling over last weeks bloody mary. Again you guys are adventurous. So I have to comment on the outfit. Adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the accessories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it seems you both agree that the food was good, but I think it is for when you feel like hanging up your apron for the evening and getting take-out. I am sure your followers are thinking the same thing I am "Lot's of different foods I never knew existed." The experience is fun and you are sure getting to know Las Vegas better. Finally, my favorite part - the outfit of the week...................ADORABLE, ADORABLE, ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, make sure you check out Patty's Closet. They get new stuff on Tuesdays and Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are they I have tried to go eat and they are always closed and the number is not working!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's on the southwest corner of Charleston and Maryland.

    ReplyDelete